Producing Tracks

"Best practice" for dealing with send effects and master bus effects?

Producing Tracks

Jim Hanks

over 7 years ago (edited)

HEY LC I have two tracks almost complete and ready to prep for upload here. I think I understand the process for the click and cue tracks and producing stems, but I'm wondering how to best deal with send effects like reverb/delay/etc and master bus effects. I guess for the sends, just write those out as separate tracks? For the master effects, I have a typical Reason mastering insert suite with compressor, EQ, and limiter (in addition to the main bus compressor in the Reason mixer). I did see the one tutorial video that showed the main bus compressor off and inserts on when bouncing stems (although I don't see why those should be treated differently) so I guess I'll start there. So far I've been aiming for a stereo track with similar loudness to the other commercial tracks we've been using. This is working well for the stereo track. But I'm concerned that the sum of the stems will be way off from the stereo track - if that makes any sense.
tsho08

over 7 years ago

What I do is I make sure I eq and set all the levels the way I want them. then I mute all the tracks and bounce them individually leaving all the sends open, this way only the track you have unmuted bounces and it still gives you the proper levels and sends with it. Hope that helps!
Jim Hanks

over 7 years ago

Interesting. So the sends get burnt into each stem. Still seems like playback of all the stems at unity gain would clip but I'll give that a shot.
tsho08

over 7 years ago

just make sure that you eq your whole session the way you want then turn the master up to as far as you can without peaking. That way you get the proper mix you want but at the higher volume. the sends will still run there course properly on each track when bounced.