Moving custom song arrangments from arrangment view to session view. Are there any helpful short cuts?

Ableton

thagan

about 7 years ago (edited)

Is there some sort of shortcut for moving sections of a song from arrangement view into separate scenes in session view? I currently make each set in arrangement view. The multitracks are laid out song 1, song 2, underscored talk, song 3 etc. (with the use of a MIDI stop tracs) Though I prefer arrangement veiw to session view, it is too time consuming. I am going to start making a song library, similar to Matt's library (see link) so I can cue up my tunes before rehearsal and just play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZSzYd8u6Q The only difference is that I want to keep my arrangements customizable from session view. So I plan on splicing up each part of the song (intro, v1, ch, etc) into different scenes. Right now I have to splice up my standard arrangement and move each part of a song over to a session individually. Is there some sort of shortcut for moving every part of song from arrangement view into separate scenes in session view without having to move each section manually? Thanks! :) - Thomas
mrdister

almost 7 years ago

Ok, if you're doing all this work in that template when adding a new song, I suppose you could just consolidate it to Session Mode and delete what you have in Arrangement then.
mrdister

almost 7 years ago

Yeah you got it. I prefer keeping them separate and adding them to a new template each Sunday than having one template with EVERY song in it that I have to navigate through, since I automate all the transitions between songs.
kferris

almost 7 years ago

Makes sense...thanks a bunch for your help
mrdister

almost 7 years ago

Sure thing!
thagan

almost 7 years ago

thanks fellas, but I am still having a little trouble. I really hope what I am about to ask makes sense. :) Kyle, Consolidate section to scene works pretty well, but I just wish there was a way to run some sort of macro that consolidated my scenes by name based on the markers in arrangement mode and maintained tempo and time signature data within that project. Do I just need to do it all manually or is there a way to create a work flow macro in abelton live 9? A complicated fix I know, but it would save me a lot of time in the future. Matt, Watching the cues is helpful when I use a single cues .wav track, but unfortunately I have been creating my own cues with the LC midi instrument and splitting the structure of the song up into different scenes . The midi cue clips are typically only a bar long. This means I have to start the previous master scene and scrub forward in the stage display of the cue file to the last four beats in order to cue the band into the next scene. (Currently each part of the song is split into multiple scenes, so I can get rid of a specific instrument in a specific part of the song. Like dropping a bass guitar out of a verse but keeping that bass in the rest of the song.) Does this mean that each section of the song needs to be limited to one scene? Or is there a work around where I can keep each instrument in its own scene and maintain the flexibility of dropping specific instruments from specif parts of song in session view? 1 more question I am having trouble with the follow action command. After entering how many bars I want a particular row to last, only some of the scenes on the next line will fire. Is there some newbie mistake I am making here that is preventing the row of scenes to start unison and for the correct duration? again, I hope this makes sense. thanks for the help guys
thagan

almost 7 years ago

thanks fellas, but I am still having a little trouble. I really hope what I am about to ask makes sense. :) Kyle, Consolidate section to scene works pretty well, but I just wish there was a way to run some sort of macro that consolidated my scenes by name based on the markers in arrangement mode and maintained tempo and time signature data within that project. Do I just need to do it all manually or is there a way to create a work flow macro in abelton live 9? A complicated fix I know, but it would save me a lot of time in the future. Matt, Watching the cues is helpful when I use a single cues .wav track, but unfortunately I have been creating my own cues with the LC midi instrument and splitting the structure of the song up into different scenes . The midi cue clips are typically only a bar long. This means I have to start the previous master scene and scrub forward in the stage display of the cue file to the last four beats in order to cue the band into the next scene. (Currently each part of the song is split into multiple scenes, so I can get rid of a specific instrument in a specific part of the song. Like dropping a bass guitar out of a verse but keeping that bass in the rest of the song.) Does this mean that each section of the song needs to be limited to one scene? Or is there a work around where I can keep each instrument in its own scene and maintain the flexibility of dropping specific instruments from specif parts of song in session view? 1 more question I am having trouble with the follow action command. After entering how many bars I want a particular row to last, only some of the scenes on the next line will fire. Is there some newbie mistake I am making here that is preventing the row of scenes to start unison and for the correct duration? again, I hope this makes sense. I am not trying to be "that" guy. I just got a lot of questions. thanks for the help guys
mrdister

almost 7 years ago

Hi Thomas, To your first question - no there is no macro I am aware of. let me know if you find one. To the last question, I don't use follow actions because they're really annoying to setup and don't actually launch scenes, only clips. Check out the 'Follow' custom device built by Isotonik Studios :)