Recording separate takes in Ableton

Ableton

Cdaug7

over 7 years ago (edited)

I'm using Ableton to do more recording now and I'm interested in knowing if its possible to record takes like i can in Garage Band. For instance in GB I could set the loop indicator to cover a verse. I could then hit record and play the verse like 5 times. Every time the loop indicator went back to the start it would record anoth take. Once I stopped i would have 5 clips of the verse I recorded and could use any of them that i liked. I have not yet found a way to do this in ableton but i'm convinced it can. Anyone using this function or am i the only one who needs more than one take to get right :-)
mike

over 7 years ago

They don't really have a comping feature in Live. Easiest way to to record to a bunch of different tracks in arrangement view and then move in and out as needed.
scoottie

over 7 years ago

You can do something very similar is Session View. You just have to trigger each loop record.
mrdister

over 7 years ago

Takes & comping are the worst part of Live IMHO
mattmccoy

over 7 years ago

I've heard rumors that comping is coming...
mrdister

over 7 years ago

Thanks for the heads up MM. I wanted to try to use Live for more band audio work, but without comping and take functionality, I have to wait.