Ableton - Fade tracks in and out on the fly

Ableton

kaishansiow

almost 3 years ago (edited)

Hi there! Just wondering if there was a way to fade tracks/cues in and out on the fly (leaving click running only) on Ableton using hot keys on the laptop keyboard. I've been using the "mod" wheel on a MIDI controller to do the fade in/out - assign it to the master volume and cue track - but I want to ditch the controller Currently I assigned "m" as a toggle mute on individual tracks and cues in case the band goes off track or if we want to repeat a section. But it's not ideal as it's too abrupt. This is all done on arrangement view. Appreciate any help I can get!
Derkerr

almost 3 years ago

Hey Kai, There is not a way to control faders with hot keys in Ableton Live as far as I know. You need an expression pedal or a mod wheel. Hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of LC! -Derek, The LC Team
kaishansiow

almost 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply Derek. Dang, I was afraid that was the case.
EmmanuelShoreham

almost 3 years ago

You could do this with ClyphX Pro - it's a scripting add-in for Live that allows you to very easily control pretty much any aspect of Live. It certainly has the ability to control fader levels and you can also pre-determine a ramp for changing a parameter so should easily be able to fade tracks in/out with a single button press. Have a look at the documentation on the Isotonik Studios site for ClyphX Pro and you should be able to work it out yourself, but for your use case I would set up an X-Control to do this. This would be triggered by any MIDI note or CC or whatever that you specify and you cna get it to alternate between two actions - so press the button once and it will fade out the track over whatever ramp time you specify, press it again and it will fade that track back in, again over whatever ramp you specify. Specifically I would use an X-Control like this: (In this example, I am assuming the fader you want to fade in/out is on track 3 in Live; this is specified in ClyphX Pro by '3/') 3/VOL RAMP 20 0 [This will ramp the fader volume of track 3 to a value of 0 [muted] over 2seconds [specified as 20*100ms]] (PSEQ) 3/VOL RAMP 20 0 ; 3/VOL RAMP 20 100 [The (PSEQ) means you do each of the actions seperated by a ; each button press. This would ramp to 0 in 2s on first press and ramp back to 100 over 2 seconds on the 2nd press] You would need to read the manual to see how you assign those correctly to an X-Control, but it is pretty simple. ClyphX Pro is ace and there are a whole ton of things you can do with it so well worth the £28 (~$35)
kaishansiow

almost 3 years ago

Wow, thanks for this Mark! I'll look into it. Thanks for the help.
EmmanuelShoreham

almost 3 years ago

No problem! I tested it out last night and it works perfectly - you'd have to play with the fade time a bit to get the fade in/out you wanted but other than that it does what you want. You could do it on multiple track faders at the same time with one control, and as well as triggering by MIDI you could assign the actions to a clip so that when that clip is triggered (say the last clip in the song) it will auto fade out. Or whatever you want really!