Ableton Control for drummers

Ableton

noisy77

over 6 years ago (edited)

Hi All, I'm just getting into the loop/multitrack thing. I have some tracks that I have been working with in Ableton and am loving that. My issue is... how to launch cues while playing. I have the multitracks segmented out, I know how to assign the midi/usb/keyboard or what-have-you. But what is the best control surface for drummers. I like the features that the Looptimus offers, but it would seem that something like a roland SPS-S with the same functionality as the Looptimus would be the ticket. What are other drummers using to launch cues/loops? has anyone found a drum pad/surface that can you can assign multiple banks of cues to? Thanks,
noisy77

over 6 years ago

Or possibly any other setup suggestions?
nlsn

over 6 years ago

I'm a drummer. I use my laptop mounted on my rack just between my small tom and the hi-hat. I simply map keystrokes to launch the loops in Session view. I usually let the loops run without much input. Song 1 is the number one on the keyboard, song 2 is number two, etc... I use the space bar to stop the loop when needed. You can midi map a Looptimus, or a SoftStep. Neither way (foot controller or key mapping) help drummers much since you usually get busy with both hands and feet. Right now, I just cheat playing with one hand while I use my free hand to fire loops when needed. It works for me.
Kevin_onDrums

over 6 years ago

You should be able to map a SPD-s to work. I don't launch samples and loops while playing. I used to do it with an SPD-s before I got into running tracks. Now I just have the whole thing sequenced and launch the song. I use a Korg NanoPad2 to launch them all.
jonknapp

over 6 years ago

I have the exact same question . . . any other recommendations from drummers?
CaseyBarrett

over 6 years ago

Hi guys, I'm using a device from roland called a TMC-6 wired up with a bunch of standard guitarist foot-switches. spaced around next to my kick and hat pedals (see photo). Each of my 7 foot-switches is converted to a midi note by the TMC-6 and the TMC-6 has 12 memory banks, so when song one finishes, I press the memory+ button and then i have 7 different midi notes assigned to the 7 switches. Has been working quite well for me!

IMG_0126.JPG

nlsn

over 6 years ago

Hey Casey! That set up is cool! I looked it up to see what it would take for me to go that way. Problem is, the TMC-6 is discontinued. What would you use if you were suggesting something like this for new drummers wanting to hybridize their acoustic kits? Keep in mind, the goal is to trigger other sounds as well as loops. Your input would be helpful.
noisy77

over 6 years ago

Great looking setup Casey. I think I'm going to try to mod the pads on the Korg nanoPAD2 to get more sensitivity out of them and make them more responsive to potentially using sticks to tap them. Just a thought. And for $45, hey why not.
Kevin_onDrums

over 6 years ago

My Nano pad is very sensitive. I barely touch the pad with my finger and it will trigger. I would be leery about hitting it with a stick. Even light taps.
mikecreates

over 6 years ago

I think the ddrum DDTI interface would be a viable replacement for the Roland TMC-6. I used to run a few Roland trigger pads into one and then use that to send midi triggers to Ableton. They aren't that expensive and I think would work with a momentary, non-latching guitar footswitch. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/ddrum-ddti-trigger-interface