Ableton Live 9 Question: " Can a BLUE TOOTH work as in ear monitor?"

Ableton

vic486

almost 8 years ago (edited)

Hi I am still new to ableton, I have a new computer coming in this week, and it is set up with bluetooth capability. Can a click track be bluetooth'd to a bluetooth ear piece using ableton live 9? ...or will I be trying to do something that ableton and/or bluetooth is not designed for?
scoottie

This would actually all depend on the hardware and bluetooth software you are currently running. Live can simply send audio to the sperate audio outputs you have, virtual or hardwired.
mike

I've done it. You'll need to delay the main outputs due to latency to the ear piece and I would clock some serious testing time on it to be sure it doesn't drift. However, it is functional and works.

nlsn

Is there a range to be aware of? Meaning... will it lose signal if I moved out of range?
mike

Yes. Bluetooth max is usually about 30 feet. Depending on how dense your electronics are, you probably wouldn't want to move more than 10 feet imho.

nickjmcclure

I've wondered about this myself. Besides your average Bluetooth earpiece, I know that there are a variety of brands that manufacture wireless headphones and earbuds that use Bluetooth. I remember my friends paying a fortune to get some when they first came out. I never tested the latency. I'm certain it was there though. After all -- when your average joe is listening to his iPod , he would never know until he watches a video. Personally, I'm not brave enough to try planned latency. Just too risky. What if the latency isn't a fixed amount of time and ends up floating? Did the sound guy just take an extended sabbatical?? I can see the terror on the drummer's face already... I recently helped plan a worship festival - and wireless ears just weren't in the budget. Rather than use extensions all over creation coming from a single headphone amp, we experimented with using personal FM radios and FM transmitters. It worked surprisingly well with seemingly ZERO latency. And we found a stash of old Walkmans from the 90s that worked better than any of the brand new personal radios we tried. It sounds silly, but as they say: "fake it 'till you make it!". If you try it, let us know what you find out!