Ableton scene launch cursor to progress with auto progress

Ableton

JeremiahWomack

almost 6 years ago (edited)

OK.... So, LC is AWESOME! Truly appreciate all of the hard work everyone puts into making this place fantastic. Ableton has revolutionized my worship sets and I LOVE that! Here is my dilema I am using session view and launching scenes for my songs and their respective parts I have multi-tracks running and create scenes for each of the parts (intro, verse, chorus, etc...) I then set the song to auto progress and have various areas set aside for speaking or what not It's all fine and dandy until I get to the part where I need to start the next part of the song and my scene selector curser is back at the beginning of the song when I first launched the whole thing. Hopefully this makes sense.... Basically, I start a song and I use Abelton's "Follow action" to have the song move along automatically through the parts like so: Intro, Verse 1, Chorus 1, Verse 2, Chorus 2, Chorus 2, bridge, break down, Now I have it set to NOT follow at the break down and just loop so someone can say something (pray, read a scripture, etc...). It loops awesome, the song has been great up until this point, but now I am struggling to get my scene selector from the launch point of "Intro" down 8 spaces using my foot controller, while trying to minister, and play guitar. Is there a way to have the curser progress with the scene that is playing? I know you can set it to go to the next scene after you launch a scene, but it won't go any further than one. Any ideas
JeremiahWomack

almost 6 years ago

Oh yeah.... I'm using a PC as well.... if that maters
dspille

almost 6 years ago

If you have Max4Live, I recommend that you check out Isotonik Follow. It might be just what you need. See http://loopcommunity.com/blocks/software/ableton/isotonik-follow-max-for-live-plugin-ableton-template
JeremiahWomack

almost 6 years ago

Hi Dennis, Thanks for the response! I have looked at :) KP had a video showing how he uses it Just wondering if there is a way to do it without having to use a plugin
dspille

almost 6 years ago

Since you are on a PC, you could download the free LoopBe1 driver (a Free Virtual MIDI Driver) to create a MIDI loopback port, MIDI map the "scene down" button, then create a MIDI automation track with a MIDI clip in each scene that sends the MIDI note out the loopback port for the "scene down" button. Be sure the MIDI automation clips are not set to loop. I just tested this out on my system, and it seems to work. If you have it set up properly, the scene selection will advance by one as the your loops advance. For more info on how to set up and utilize a loopback port for automation, there is a great article at http://hobo-tech.com/technologies/livetips/midi-macro-clips/ I would be interested to know if there are any easier ways to do what you are asking.
nlsn

almost 6 years ago

Dennis, You are an amazing source of information. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It has answered some of my own questions.
dspille

almost 6 years ago

Nelson, Thank you. LC is a great community and resource for me, and I'm happy to be a part of it.
JeremiahWomack

almost 6 years ago

Awesome! Looks like it is working :) Now I just have to tweak it a little, but it's pretty strait forward from here on out!!