Ableton Skipping During Multi-Track Playback

Ableton

rhincephalon

about 7 years ago (edited)

Hello again all - unfortunately I need additional assistance as I'm having some continued Ableton glitches - this time during live playback... As I have mentioned in previous posts, I store all of my Multitracks in one giant Master Session File and play my tracks from this file during our church's worship services. Whenever I add new tunes, I am always careful to “Collect All and Save” the file. I will admit, it's gotten pretty massive... it's been going pretty well once the songs are actually in there - except during rehearsal this past week when Ableton glitched up during play back. The audio suddenly began cutting in and out very rhythmically - almost like a faulty wiring connection. I restarted the computer and maxed out the buffer size in the preferences and everything seemed to be fine again - until our worship service this morning when it did it again! I had to kill the track in the middle of the song and we continued on... Anyhow, we are doing a worship ‘concert' outreach in a few weeks to the community which consists of 90 minutes worth of music and I really need the tracks to work flawlessly for this event. Any idea what could be going on? Is it possible to build too large of a session file? All the files are stored locally, so I would surmise that Ableton shouldn't be working too hard to play these back - at the very max no more than 20 clips at a single given moment. I don’t think it is a hardware issue. I have a brand new Mac Book Pro Laptop with a 250 GB solid state drive, a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processors and 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory. I have about 20 GB of memory left on my SSD. I am running Ableton Live 9 Standard and a USB Focusrite Scarlett Interface to feed 3 sends to the front of house - track left, track right, and a combined click/guide channel. I have no other programs running during the services aside from Ableton. I do not usually turn off my wifi. We were actually recording the service live when the issue occurred so I have a copy of what the audio sounded like. I thought I could attach it below, but it looks like only images are accepted. I could email it if anyone wanted to hear it and thought that would help deduce the problem. Once again - thanks for all of your thoughts and any assistance/expertise you can provide...
rhincephalon

almost 7 years ago

Hi Nelson, I did find this driver previously but for some reason was having lots of problems from the CNET website downloading it. An unrecognized file entitled "usb_asio.sit" kept downloading. Anyhow, I just tried again and I finally got it to work right and was able to download the disk image entitled "cbsidlm-sp1_0_150-USB_Audio_ASIO_driver-ORG-6405.dmg". It must have been operator error. Anyhow, I just installed it and we'll see if this makes a difference. Thanks.
kferris

almost 7 years ago

Hoping it helps...i may download and try as well
rhincephalon

almost 7 years ago

Ok - so last night we had our dress rehearsal for our concert and preliminarily taking these steps (using the 64 bit version and installing the ASIO driver) seem to have fixed the problem - but like you stated Kent - I too have had these issues randomly and intermittently - so hopeful they don't suddenly reappear. Performance is tonight... we'll see how that goes!
kferris

almost 7 years ago

Hope it goes issue free.... I'll check today if i'm running 32 or 54 bit and try the audio driver.
rhincephalon

almost 7 years ago

I'm happy to say that our concert of 90 minutes worth of music went off without a hiccup from Ableton. So did this morning's service. Hopefully it continues to behave! Thanks to all for the assistance!
nlsn

almost 7 years ago

Great news! Congrats!