Ad Hoc Wifi Networks (iPad Control of Ableton)

Ableton

mgumwvco

over 6 years ago (edited)

I use my iPad to control my Ableton loops on stage. I use the LIVKONTROL Free app, and I connect to an ad hoc wifi network generated by my MacBook Pro, which is also on stage. I briefly read up on ad hoc networks, and I believe their range is supposed to be pretty decent. But, it seems to me that I've got to be no more than 10ft away from the computer for it to work reliably. Is this common, or is there an issue with my laptop? Also, in my brief home test, controlling Ableton with an iPad over a standard wifi network seemed to be equally as unreliable. Is there a way to improve the performance of that setup, such as port forwarding, upgrading the router, etc?
rongehrke

over 6 years ago

I have used the iPad to control multiple computers. I did not find the ad-hock network reliable. Instead what I have done is use a dedicated wifi router. Since we have open wifi at our building, it is a password protected network just for the band and tech team. As for ports, LIVKONTROL uses bonjour so you would need: 1900, 5350, 5351, 5353 UDP on a router. For an adhoc network with a Macbook you shouldn't have to open anything up. I know some guys travel with an Airport Express router in their rig to make it easier.
mgumwvco

over 6 years ago

Is the dedicated router hooked up to the Internet, or no? Would it affect anything if it were?
rongehrke

over 6 years ago

I have mine hooked up to the internet, but it shouldn't have to be.