Adding an extra measure before tracks start

Ableton

KrisSavage

almost 7 years ago (edited)

I just spent the last few days at the National Worship Leaders Conference and asked Matt McCoy several hundred questions, it seemed. I asked him yesterday how to add an extra measure to the beginning of our songs in Abelton Live Intro 9, but by the time I got home that night to try it, I completely forgot how to do it. Basically, we've set our drummer up to have a click in his ears, but we don't all have in ear monitors yet. The first song we are doing this week is "All Because of Jesus" by Fee. The track starts the first measure by immediately saying, "intro 2 3 4" which gives him no time to click us in, or get the tempo ready for himself. Basically, I want to start the track with a blank measure so the click track will still play before the intro cue comes in. Hopefully this is something a lot of people do. Please let me know as soon as you can! Thanks!
feinbergpaul

almost 7 years ago

Just insert the loop into Ableton, and move it over a measure. Then get the loop community cues/click track for free from the loop community store. Then just insert the click in there for the extra measure. What kind of loop do you have? Is it stereo loop with click and cues in it? You should watch this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLlJLTpwnwc&list=UUE9gK8ddzWp9lEkjF3MIHJw
KrisSavage

almost 7 years ago

Thank you, Paul, very much! I am currently at work, and won't have access to Ableton for a couple days, but once I get a chance I'll let you know how it worked for me!
feinbergpaul

almost 7 years ago

Sounds good. The video I put in the link is a video Matt did on showing how to make a custom arrangement of a loop. Should give you a good start on just adding that second measure and more. I could tell you how to do it in more detail, but I am sure visuals help. Hope it works for you!
KrisSavage

almost 7 years ago

I forgot to answer your last question. It is the multi track version that I downloaded from LC. I'm using the metronome from Ableton panned to the left -as well as the cues track- and all my tracks are panned to the right. Just using session view like he shows on one of the videos he has.
feinbergpaul

almost 7 years ago

drag all your tracks in arrangement view then just move them to the right 1 measure and copy a measure of the click track and paste it in the first measure in front of the click track. Then export all your stems again. ("File", "Export Audio/Video", Then change rendered track to "All Tracks"). Make sure when you export you select the track that has the longest audio otherwise you could render the tracks to a shorter time and would cut off your track early.
KrisSavage

almost 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Once I have access to the Ableton computer again I'll try out both ways (either tomorrow or Sunday). The problem I think I'll run into with placing a dummy in the line above is that I have Intro, so I'm only allowed 8 lines to work with. I don't know if I maybe missed Matt being in arrangement view when he showed me what to do, but I could have sworn he was in session view, and I thought he was in one of the boxes in the lower left (the launch commands, maybe?) and changed a "1" to a "2" and it nudged the whole song over a measure. Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot on this, we bought the software Wednesday, and I've only had about a total of maybe 8 hours of broken up times to start learning it. I appreciate the help, and have relied heavily on loopcommunity.com for sure.
feinbergpaul

almost 7 years ago

Hey no problem, that's what we are here for. Look over both options and of you have questions just ask.
KrisSavage

almost 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I got to work with things a bit last night, but the songs that we are (hopefully) using this week don't have that immediate count in that I was concerned about, so I didn't have to try it out. I did have a chance to play in arrangement view a bit, and I'll likely work on it from there when it comes up again. This is going to be only our second rehearsal with the click and tracks, so I'm not terribly optimistic about going live with it this week, but I appreciate the help!
feinbergpaul

almost 7 years ago

No problem, yea I wouldn't use them live until you and your team are comfortable using them. There's nothing wrong with practicing with the loops and click till that time comes.