Audiobox 1818 VSL with Mainstage

Ableton

jslish

almost 8 years ago (edited)

I'm trying to figure out how to use the Presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL with Mainstage. I'm having problems figuring out how to send each track to a different output on the Audiobox. Right now it's sending each track to 1/2 or 3/4. ...so I can only send it out stereo. I want the L and R of my tracks to send out to one output. ...and I don't want to pan the track hard L or R because then I lose effects on the instruments/tracks. does anyone know a good solution to this within Mainstage? I really don't want to have to go re-bounce all the tracks from Logic in Mono either. (: ...but I'm guessing that might work too. I'd love any help!
tpecina

almost 8 years ago

Can you maybe give an example of what you are trying to accomplish in the end? For example, I want click and cues coming out of channel one and stereo loops for channel 2 and 3 and so on. I know you said above that you did not want to hard pan, (but someone correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think you can have mono tracks in Mainstage without panning. One way I accomplish this is by using the Direction Mixer plugin under "Imaging" on each of my tracks. You can then choose to pan right or left and this plugin ensures that all the effects on the channel strip are included. Someone told me that when you just pan something w/o the plugin it just pans the audio, but if you have effects on the track they are only partially panned. I could be wrong, but that's how I have been doing it. Also we run a mono mix at my church.
jslish

almost 8 years ago

For example, like you said... I want clicks and cues to come out of channel 1. Synth pads out of channel 2. piano out of channel 3 and loops out of channel 4 (or stereo and then I'd use 5 too) my problem... for example... I've got synth pads that I'm trying to send to channel 2. ...well, when I send to channel 2, it only gets the Left because it's in stereo, so it's missing half the sound. (maybe I'm exaggerating, but there is a difference.) hopefully that makes sense. I guess in the end what I want is that whole synth sound to come out of one output. maybe a better question is this... if I create a piano track in Logic... bounce it out to Mainstage. Drop it in a playback track, then I hard pan it so that I can get it to come out of just one output... don't I lose part of the piano sound and effects? ...even if I bus it to another channel and hard pan that bus channel. It sounds like I lose a little something when I do this. Like I said... maybe I'm exaggerating. I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing.
tpecina

almost 8 years ago

Ok, here's a little breakdown that should help you. When you have stereo audio like the synth pads and want them to just come out of one channel, you are correct in assuming that it would sound different if hard panned. It basically becomes a mono signal now. This all depends on how you pan of course, if you use the plugin mentioned above it will totally pan all elements of the stereo track to one channel. Because it is a stereo track just panning to one side or another without the plugin does not necessarily mean it will be totally muted on the other channel. For example you had a pad and added stereo delay or reverb, you will still hear some of the effect on the other channel. So if you want true stereo sound and don't want to lose the stereo effect of pads and piano then I would suggest to just keep the track panned center and use two channels of your interface. I personally would want as much of the audio to run in true stereo as possible. This might mean getting an interface with more outputs or using groups and having piano an pad on channels 1 and 2 instead of piano on 1 and 2 and pads on 3 and 4. Hope that makes sense.. Please feel free to contact me via Facebook and I would love to help further. Please note that I along with Kyle Disterheft here at LC also use Logic and Mainstage for loops;)