CAF or WAV files?

Ableton

onsafari

about 7 years ago (edited)

Hi all, we are just starting to look at using Mainstage to run our loops instead of simple split tracks via an ipod. I've seen a couple of videos by Kyle explaining how to export tracks from Logic and import them into Mainstage. In one video, he exports them as wav files, and in another as CAF. Which is better?
tsho08

about 7 years ago

.caf files will give you the markers and .wav file won't.... So if you have markers .caf if not I'd stay with .wav
onsafari

about 7 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply Travis
mrdister

about 7 years ago

I did actually recently discover that WAV files were in fact bringing markers over. I don't know if this was a change in some Logic/Mainstage update or if it always did and I didn't realize. Regardless, you should be able to bounce to WAV and have markers brought over. Boo-ya
onsafari

about 7 years ago

Great, thanks Kyle. We've been playing around to get Mainstage 3 and the LC Template to work properly and discovered a few things. It seems that the Play/Stop button is mapped to play from start. It does not stop the loop, just restarts playback from the beginning. We needed an emergency stop button so we added one to the template and mapped it to stop immediately. Works great, except it does not stop the Mainstage metronome, if that happens to be running. What mapping attribute will cause the metronome to also stop playing? For example, after playing from marker, the metronome keeps going, even if you hit stop. Lastly, I noticed that the main play/stop button also kicks off with a metronome count in (on top of my click track) only for the first bar. This is fine except that it comes out on the left and the right, so the house can hear the metronome count in. Is there a way to dial the metronome to the left (click and cues bus) only? Or otherwise a way to turn off the metronome from the main play/stop button? I've wondered whether the LC template was not perhaps designed for Mainstage 2 and perhaps it wasn't designed to respond like this? Because I'm sure these things would've bothered other users as well. Or maybe we broke it while fiddling, also a distinct possibility ha ha
mrdister

about 7 years ago

Hi Onne, First of all, thanks for using my template! Responses below: q: What mapping attribute will cause the metronome to also stop playing? a: The Master Stop assignment will stop the metronome. If you just map it to Track--> Playback--> STOP, it will not stop the metronome. You have to do a master STOP from the global assignment. q: Is there a way to dial the metronome to the left (click and cues bus) only? a: Mainstage unfortunately doesn't let you do much with assigning the MS metronome. With that said, the LC template should not be doing anything with the MS template EXCEPT when you use the specific button to play from a marker. When you use that, it will always give you the MS metronome out of both sides (L&R). This shouldn't be an issue for most use cases, since you would only use that 'Play from Marker' button theoretically in practice where it's not a big deal if it comes out of the house too. If you press the main Play/Stop button, it should not be turning on the metronome too. If that happens, make sure that the metronome isn't just always on. If that's the case, turn it off. q: I've wondered whether the LC template was not perhaps designed for Mainstage 2 and perhaps it wasn't designed to respond like this? a: I definitely designed the template for MS 2, but we have used it at my church every Sunday since MS 3 came out and have not had any issues with it also turning the metronome on. It sounds like you might just have the metronome on all the time, and so it is causing all these issues. Does that answer your questions? -Kyle