Church Worship Live Loops

Ableton

Alanmorse

over 7 years ago (edited)

So... I have been tasked with figuring out how to run live loops off of my Mac using Ableton, and I am wondering if the list of things I have figured out thus far are the best deal that I can get in order to be able to do so most effectively for the least amount of money... I am looking to send out multiple channels, such as synth, click, tamborine, shaker, etc. Preferably 8 or more. I am also looking to control the Ableton program very quickly and precisely, with minimal effort in a live situation that could cause me to change the settings quickly, or stop it completely. This is what I am looking into purchasing... Ableton Standard Pack http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-18i20-Audio-Interface-108924705-i2991136.gc http://www.guitarcenter.com/Keith-McMillen-Instruments-SoftStep-USB-and-MIDI-Foot-Controller-106718547-i1726647.gc Is this what I would need to do so? Thanks a ton! Alan
mattmccoy

over 7 years ago

Alan, First of all, we're glad you're a part of the community! Welcome! Here's what you want: Ableton Live Standard Focusrite Scarlett, or a Presonus 1818VSL And for the foot controller, you should get the Looptimus foot controller that was designed specifically for worship leaders and what you're doing. Check it out here: http://looptimus.com Hope this helps, Matt
javierplumey

over 7 years ago

Great question! And timely for me as I am getting started as well. What's the purpose of the Focusrite or Presonus? They look like audio interfaces to get audio INTO Ableton, or am I missing something?
AndyWalker

over 7 years ago

You want a reliable interface to get audio out of Ableton, and the Focusrite Scarlett, or a Presonus 1818VSL will get multitrack audio out of ableton
javierplumey

over 7 years ago

So Andy, I shouldn't be relying on the audio out of my Macbook, then. Is using the output of the Macbook going to be terrible until I can afford one of those interfaces?
mike

over 7 years ago

Javier - you need to test it. Some macbooks are just fine and suffice for people getting started. Some have audio bleed that can't be avoided and can ruin your introduction/experience. Grab the free track of the month, plug in a set of headphones and play it through your laptop. See how it sounds and go from there.
tsho08

over 7 years ago

If you are running things panned left and right like click out one side and loops the other side then it could be an issue. I know a lot of mac's seems to have some bleed over. Might want to test run, make sure that you can't hear the click and cues out of the mains. If you are just running straight loops or sounds out of it it'll be fine. Personally I don't trust running directly out of my mac, I had an issue before and changing everything around on day of playing is not fun at all. I'm currently getting a Focusrite interface to make that not happen. So overall you can just maybe do a test run.
PastorShaun.H

over 7 years ago

this may be a silly question and i think i may already know the answer but if your using an interface Focusrite Scarlett or a Presonus 1818VSL would you need a DI for each output? and separate channel on the sound board for each out?
tsho08

over 7 years ago

You don't really need a DI for your channels. Also it's your call on what you want to do for channels on the board. Like if you wanna send click and cues into the same channel on the board that would work. You could send all loops through to the same channel if you wish... it's really preference based on what you want to control and if you have the ability and space on your board being even more important lol.
nlsn

over 7 years ago

If you have open channels to burn on your mixing desk, and you have an interface that has all those sends, and if you like having total control... sure, go for separate channels with all those mentioned such as what Alan describes in the original post. However, who's got time to stop playing to fiddle with the I/O routing and mixing interface during a worship service? I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. (Two in Four outs) I send out click, cues, and a drum track to channel 1 for my left ear so I can hear where we are, what the tempo is, and have the option of copying the drummer or opting to do my own thing on my drum set. In channel 2, I send everything else out to the FOH and mix a little of it in my left ear as well, but lower. Some may find all that going on in your ears a bit confusing, but I'm not that easily rattled, and just focus on my left ear inputs when things get a little hairy. As far as using an interface for input only... Javier, an interface converts audio into digital for incoming signals with Ableton, but likewise it can convert digital to audio for outgoing signals coming FROM Ableton to the mixer... many times at the same time. I record with mine as well. Just to get some foundation tracks for tunes, I'll record guitar, bass in channel 1 and 2 on the interface, and get a third sound by recording with the midi input from a synth keyboard. Lots of times I'll do this by plugging into their DI boxes and the back of the synth with the midi cord.