Producing Tracks

Creating Loops In The Correct Key

Producing Tracks

btull89

almost 8 years ago (edited)

I am currently looking into creating loops for my worship set in Ableton Live 9. I am a drummer, and I don't know anything about chords and keys in music theory. When I go to create my loops using Midi or Audio samples in Ableton, how do I know what key I am in?
strikelet

almost 8 years ago

Nightmare. The easy solution to this is ... go learn the music theory! Sorry!
tpecina

almost 8 years ago

Ask help from a musician in the band or MD?
btull89

almost 8 years ago

I thought that may have been the answer. I can ask for help from my bandmates. They aren't familiar with MIDI though, but it seems like MIDI notes are the same as normal notes on a musical instrument. One of my coworkers just explained chords, notes, and keys to me. I have some learning to do. Thank you for your responses!
strikelet

almost 8 years ago

Yeah ... sort of ... http://www.instructables.com/id/What-is-MIDI/ That might help in your understanding of MIDI ...
kferris

almost 8 years ago

Try www.leadworship.com. Paul Baloche has a great video available on music theory http://www.leadworship.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=41&osCsid=5ae3d4b7df9ff5a018628f7cf442ca00 You could also find the arrangement online to find a key to start in and go off those chords.... They utilize abelton to transpose to the key you need vocally. Hope that helps
btull89

almost 8 years ago

The instructables link was extremely helpful. I'll have to check out the leadworship site and see what they have to offer. Thank you guys for all the help! I'm starting to wrap my heard around all of it.
mattmccoy

almost 8 years ago

Dude, so glad you're into this! Welcome to LC!
btull89

almost 8 years ago

Thank you Matt! I have been watching a lot of your videos. I hope to be a contributor soon!
tsho08

almost 8 years ago

hey brandon if you asked me about midi and keys and all that stuff 2-3 years ago I would've said I don't even know what you mean by midi. You can definitely figure it out and asking questions is definitely the best and quickest way to get that going. Took me a while because I never knew people who had info on this.