Dynamic Cues in Ableton with Max for Live "Follow" Device

Ableton

aagooden

over 5 years ago (edited)

Hi everyone, I have just figured out how to get dynamic cues to work with Ableton and Max for Live "Follow" Device with a repeat button. It involves the "follow" device being on two tracks... a dedicated "dynamic cues" track and one of the audio tracks with multitracks in it. Basically, in any part of a verse, chorus, bridge, etc, you can hit a "repeat" button and repeat that section with dynamic cues (in other words, without using a "cues" track in multitrack files). So, if you want to repeat the chorus...the voice cue says "chorus, 2, 3 4...or whatever you want it to say. What I'm wondering is if someone has already figured this out? If not, I would like some of you to test it and see if it works for someone other than me. Also, I think there may be a way to get truly dynamic tracks using this technique (in other words, jump to any section of the song by pressing a button assigned to that section without having to time the press in the last measure and getting dynamic cues) ...I just haven't figured it out yet. Maybe some of you who are smarter than I can help me out with that one. I will try to write this idea up in some form if nobody has done it already. I can't find anything on here about it...am I missing something? Thanks...
dspille

over 5 years ago

I have been using the technique in the video below for this, but I use arrangement view instead of session view. Not sure how you could do it with session view. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFk8mz1EHSo
aagooden

over 5 years ago

I saw that video. Let me see if I can explain how I'm doing it in session view. - There are two tracks that have the "follow" device on them. The first one is a dedicated "dynamic cues" track that will contain one measure cue clips. The second is any track of the multitracks in your song. It doesn't matter which one because the "follow" device will be triggering scenes. - I broke up the song as normal into Intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro, etc. Each section gets its own scene. - The "follow" settings for the "dynamic cues" track is as follows: Target: set to "scene" Trigger Type: set to "clip end" Be sure the numbers at the bottom below "Trigger Type" are set to Bars-0, Beats-0, Units-60 - The follow settings on the other track is as follows: Target: set to "scene" Trigger type: set to "clip end" Be sure the numbers at the bottom below "Trigger Type" are set to Bars=1, Beats=0, Units=60 (this allows the follow device to trigger the next scene 1 bar ahead of the end of the current scene end) - Then, create new, blank scenes just above each section of the song you may want to repeat. I name these scenes "Verse Cue" or "Chorus Cue" etc. So, for each song section you will have two scenes. - This is important, remove the stop buttons from all clips in all the tracks on these dynamic cue scenes. Then, paste a 1 bar "vocal cue" clip into the "dynamic cue" track at each of the cue scenes you created. Each clip in the multitrack "track" that contains the follow device needs to be set to trigger to the "next" scene. This is done by editing drawing an envelope in the Envelopes section of the "clip view". You edit the "follow" and "follow action" envelope to "next" for each of these clips. This causes each scene to trigger the next scene and "follow" each other normally (unless you want to repeat). This must be done for each of the "vocal cue" clips as well. Quantization is set to "global" in all cases. Make sure you either don't use or mute the normal "cue" track that comes with most/all multitrack files. I actually cut and paste the audio cues from these tracks for use in the dynamic track for simplicity. As long as they are one measure...they work great. So, here is how it all works. When a "song section" scene is launched (verse, chorus, etc), the follow device is set to go to the next scene when the "clip ends". This is the normal state of affairs...when it gets to the end of the clip, the next scene fires. The difference is that, the next scene is actually a "dynamic audio cue". Because the follow device is set to trigger one measure before the end of the clip, it actually fires the next scene one measure early. BUT, because the stop buttons have been removed from the next scene, the original scene actually finishes playing even after the next scene is fired. So, the last measure of the clip AND the vocal cue play at the same time and then move to the next scene (which is the next section of the song). This gives an in time vocal cue that is independent of the song clips. When you want to repeat a section, if you hit the "previous" button in the "follow" device on the audio clip any time during playback, it over-rides the "next command" , fires the previous scene one measure ahead...which is the "vocal cue" for the scene that is being repeated. It then plays that scene and moves on to the "next" scene automatically. Writing this out...it sounds way more complicated than it really is. It's actually quite easy to set up the songs in this way once you get the two control tracks working. Every song will share a "dynamic cue" track (with it's own cue clips) and a general multitrack control track for all of the "follow device" actions. Any input and observations would be great. Thanks everyone.