Logic & MainStage

Electric guitar

Logic & MainStage

g00p3k

over 7 years ago (edited)

Have a telecaster for 2 weeks and was thinking about playing it Sunday. Don't have any other gear other than audio interface (scarletti 24i). Is mainstage a viable option to get some smooth guitar tones for direct into PA, or free version of Guitar Rig 5? I'm looking for ultra cheap and simple. I have a macbook pro and ipad (running onsong currently) to work with . I don't know if I can run mainstage and get decent sound without spending a lot of money on plugins WHILE using ableton live to trigger loops. I'm using a Line 6 FBV Shortboard controller for ableton currently.
tsho08

over 7 years ago

Mainstage is totally a viable option. I always use virtual instruments in my loops and stuff. It's easier. If you email me I have a nice clean tone with delay you can use.
tsho08

over 7 years ago

should probably give you my email for that eh? (that's right Canadian) short.travis08@gmail.com
mattmccoy

over 7 years ago

I just got GuitarRig Pro... pretty cool stuff in there.
MattFawcett

over 7 years ago

You can get some really great stuff out of Mainstage for Guitars. I ran my rig for a summer with only using effects and amps with mainstage. It worked pretty well, but if you don't have a way to control it (i.e. a looptimus or other such pedal) it can be hard to switch effects on and off. That's definitely your best option as far as being cost effective though.
tsho08

over 7 years ago

If you know for sure where and when you are turn off effects then you could automate it using logic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgzBOJYSY64
toonhandbunny

over 7 years ago

I Always use Logic at youth direct in from Electric Guitar, It has never let me down so far. Like Matt F said above though, It's helpful to have a pedal. I personally don't mind reaching over to my trackpad to change a patch though, It really doesn't bother me. It's got some awesome Amps + Effects. Focusrite's are generally pretty good, the Pre's are clean but eventually I recommend upgrading. I started with a 2i2 and switched to a Duet 2 which sounds so much better! Other guitarists may look down on using a computer for amps and effects, But honestly, It's just like a POD HD500. In fact, I ordered a POD, and I returned it because I preferred Logic. Obviously a personal preference but The POD was a lot of stuff I didn't need. Logic's interface is a lot cleaner and simpler in my opinion. Haven't tried running with Mainstage yet though :/
DayDstrysNit

over 5 years ago

Sure... this thread is years old, but I just found LC and wanted to chime in. I play both acoustic and electric through Mainstage exclusively. For the money I invested (Macbook Pro, notwithstanding), there's no way I could get close to the same gear in a physical rig. Setup and teardown are a snap, and I love the flexibility. Side note... my church also loves the flexibility. It's allowed me to explore a lot of sounds and create a depth that people really respond to. I use the FCB 1010 for my control surface (Amazon: http://goo.gl/44qsNV ), and a slick little software tool called iFCB that a dude who goes by WabbitWanch created. http://www.wabbitwanch.com/iFCB.html It's worth every penny of the $20 he asks. There's some programming work involved to get up and running, but it's actually a great way learn a bit about midi and your rig. I play a Taylor 500 series acoustic and/or a Gretsch hollowbody electric, and both sound really nice. Add in the volume pedal, tap tempo, tuner, etc., and there's no glaring downside (for me).