expression pedal controlling volume?

Looptimus

tracerorie

over 7 years ago (edited)

I know that the expression jack allows the looptimus to send MIDI CC data to your DAW, but does it have the functionality to control something like loop/cue volume? Here's an example... Song #1 has a loop track and a cue track. We're utilizing Ableton's internal metronome. The band gets out of sync with the loop/cues, so I want to drop them out of the mix but keep the internal click running so the band stays together. I know the "stop" button allows for that functionality, but I'd also like to be able to use the "stop" as a killswitch for everything (including the internal metronome). So, would an expression pedal allow me to just lower the volume of the loop/cues, allowing the click to continue on? Then, I'd use the "stop" button to end EVERYTHING once the song is over? There might be other solutions, as well. Perhaps assigning the "stop all clips" button in Ableton to button A-F on the looptimus, then allowing the looptimus "stop" button to stop all playback. Sorry, this is getting a bit confusing. Any ideas? Sorry if I worded it poorly! -trace
nate.swany

over 7 years ago

I've actually had the same thoughts, Trace. What you want to do is completely possible but maybe not in the way you're thinking. What I've done thus far (without having an expression pedal) is assign a button on Looptimus that isn't the dedicated stop button to launch an empty scene. This causes the metronome to continue but stops all loops/multi-tracks/cues. Easy enough I think. I use the F button. The reason why an expression pedal wouldn't do for you what you want it to do is because you're most likely routing the loops (to front of house) separately from the metronome and the cues (to monitors). The MIDI info that's coming from an expression pedal will only be able to control ONE of those volumes. You would have to choose between bringing the volume down on the loops but leaving the click AND the cues, or bringing down the volume of everything. As far as I know, you can't control multiple aspects of Live with the MIDI note. If you try you'll most likely get an error about the note being previously assigned. Hope my suggestion helps you out! The only downside is the quantization makes everything stop on the next downbeat. Not a huge deal but it might be annoying. As far as I know you can't disable quantization on a scene, only on clips.
mattmccoy

over 7 years ago

Trace, Have you tried assigning the expression pedal to multiple faders? I think it works, but I'm not in front of my expression pedal to try it. m
nate.swany

over 7 years ago

That actually works, Matt. Just tried it the other day. I went back and looked at my Live set after I realized I explained something you clearly had an idea about already, Trace! Haha. I should probably get the facts straight before I try to sound like I know things.