Fade out on stop button

Ableton

michael.dejonge.33

about 6 years ago (edited)

I would like to know if it is possible to put a fade out on the stop button. If something would go wrong it would be nice to here the loop fade out when I hit the stop button. Now everything stops all at once, which also makes it sound obvious that something went wrong. Any help is appreciated!
dspille

about 6 years ago

A couple of thoughts... 1) You could add an expression pedal to your set up that was MIDI assigned to the master volume fader. You could then gradually fade the track. 2) You could create a midi automation track that was assigned to the master volume fader. You didn't mention if you were using session or arrangement view, but assuming you were using session view, you could create the MIDI automation click in a separate scene that controlled the volume fader, remove all of the stop buttons from the other tracks in the scene, then launch that scene when you are wanting a fade out. I have used MIDI automation to control other things before such as tempo, but it does involve setting up a MIDI loopback port. On Windows, I use LoopBe. On MAC, the loopback is built-in... you just have to enable it. You can Google MIDI loopback driver, and you can find out how to do this.
dspille

about 6 years ago

Sorry... my post should have read "...you could create the MIDI automation *track*in a separate scene..."
nlsn

about 6 years ago

Dennis, That's genius. I've never thought of doing your second idea above. Thanks for the tip!
dspille

about 6 years ago

Thanks, Nelson. It's fun to try to think of creative ways around some of these issues.
phowell3

almost 6 years ago

Depending on the loop, an easy fix might be a reverb with a slow decay. I use it a lot to avoid the "abrupt silence" thing.