Producing Tracks

File Size / Type

Producing Tracks

mikecreates

almost 8 years ago (edited)

Hey everyone, For awhile now I've been using .WAV as my preferred file type (44100 16 bit). The problem is that one folder of stems can easily be over 500MB. As my library of loops grows all the time, this is swallowing more and more of my HD space. I know that mp3's add that annoying bit of silence at the beginning thus making them not sync up properly. But is there any other format that is A) smaller B) of decent quality? I have no problem compressing files (since the uncompressed WAVs are overkill for most venues).
tpecina

almost 8 years ago

Have you thought about maybe purchasing an external HD? You can find some pretty good deals on like a 1T or 2T HD on Amazon! I would try and stay away from doing anything to the files that would directly affect the quality, but that's just my opinion.
tsho08

almost 8 years ago

I have a small external HD and I pull what I need for each set off when I'm playing just in case the drive fails and to eliminate possibility of lag. Anything else as far as files is useless! I use to run with some mp3/m4a stuff but the .wav files are soooooo much better quality i find.
mattmccoy

almost 8 years ago

Hey Mike - this is a good question. The BIG issue for me is the throw-off of timing.... but I'm not sure what codec doesn't do that. If you find an answer, let me know! I haven't experienced with it much. It would probably be as easy as converting the WAV files to a bunch of difference kinds and see which one keeps timing.
mike

almost 8 years ago

Disclaimer: I've not used this application, however, I've used many like it for the PC world. http://www.merlindevs.com/ In short, wav files are highly compressible (especially those that are mostly silence...). Using an application like this on your 'loops' main folder will use file system compression on the files within it. It should save you a TON of space. If you have issues with playback (I doubt you will), you might need to copy your set out of that folder for live performance.