Freezing tracks?

Ableton

peterthorogood

over 5 years ago (edited)

So...I keep all my tracks in a group so i can activate and deactivate all the tracks I want and don't want. But this means the computer is having to read all the separate WAV files...If I click on the group it lets me freeze would this make it any easier for the computer? Does it make them into a single stereo file for the computer to read?
scoottie

about 5 years ago

In Live, you can't freeze a group. You can freeze the tracks within a group. The only benefit to freezing is if you are doing any processing. Maybe using MIDI with a plugin or inserting your favorite auto tune or flanger plugin. If your computer can handle all the wav files, don't worry. Live was intentionally made to do just that. Playback a bunch of audio files in a live environment. If your computer cant keep up there are some things your can try before submixing. Are there dropouts? If yes, does the hard disk overload light come on in the top right corner? (icon with "D") Your hard drive is too slow. A stage laptop NEEDS to have a minimum 7200 rpm hdd. Solid state is preferred and would solve the issue immediatly. If the icon isn't coming on you can increase the audio buffer size. Max that sucker out. If you aren't using an external audio interface, get one. Now. For real. They make a huge difference. Worst case is that you will spend an hour or so submixing your tracks down to an amount your computer can handle.
stonehatr1928

about 5 years ago

Scottie, Does using an external audio interface decrease the hard disk overload?
scoottie

about 5 years ago

Not necessary. It reduces CPU load by doing the D to A conversion.