HELP NEEDED WITH ABLETON!!!

Ableton

HarperRW

over 6 years ago (edited)

I'm not necessarily "new" to Ableton. However, I still feel as if I have very limited experience with it. So, our worship team uses multitracks, click, loops, etc. I've learned that using these things is wonderful. However, when in rehearsal, if something happens, someone messes up/ wants to revisit a part of the song, I don't know how to "drop in" from a point other than the very beginning. Because we can't start from the 2nd or 3rd verse or a chorus, it sometimes leads to very lengthy rehearsal times. So, if there's any way that you guys might know of to be able to start from a certain point in the song PLEASE let me know. Thanks!
nlsn

over 6 years ago

I've seen this problem articulated on the Ableton forums, and can't seem to find a clear answer. There's one workaround they mention about using scrub areas, but it hasn't worked for me. Here's an example: Clip A is one measure repeated 7 times = 8 bars Clip B is two measures repeated 3 times = 8 bars Clip C is four measures repeated once = 8 bars Clip D is a one shot 8 bar loop Now, suppose I need to go back to the fifth bar... how do I accomplish that? If I use the scrub area to select a starting point of a clip, that one clip starts at the fifth bar, but the rest of the clips start at the first bar. How does one keep them in sync? My practical work around is to use Arrangement view for rehearsals and Session view for services. Arrangement view is easy to jump around using markers or just mouse clicks. I'm interested in the answer to this if anyone else can come up with a solution.
david_newcomb

over 6 years ago

I've also run into this limitation while running my rehearsals..very frustrating! my solution has been to take the extra step of consolidating each clip to be the same length, before loading them into session view. Then, I use the scrub area to select the 4 or 5 key starting points (first verse, bridge, etc) I would be most likely to use during rehearsal. Each starting point is loaded as a separate scene, below the full length scene. However I'm certainly interested in a more elegant/less time consuming solution, if it's out there!
sweeks614

over 6 years ago

I just have my clips for a song all set in the same scene and show my cues track at the bottom of the screen. If I need to start in the middle of the song, I just "fast forward" through the song until it is right before the cue that I need and we go from there. It's certainly not the most elegant procedure, but it works for rehearsal.
JCrouchMusic

over 6 years ago

You could just rehearse with all your loops in arrangement view. You would just have to load up the next multitrack once you're finished with a song. (Basically rehearse one at a time. Hopefully I'm making sense.) That way you can place the cursor at any point in the song and start from there.
david_newcomb

over 6 years ago

Likely I'll end up running rehearsal in arrangement view, like you're suggesting Jesse. Does anyone know if it is possible to switch back and forth from playing back in arrangement view and session view in the same session file, with all the tracks loaded in both?
kferris

over 6 years ago

Cut up your song and use the isotoniks follow device.....only way to go