Producing Tracks

How you create worship loops

Producing Tracks

wwojczyk

over 9 years ago (edited)

Hi Everyone! I have never really created a loop before, but am very interested in creating some loops that we can use in our worship services. I would like to be able to create multiple clips/tracks that I can build using Ableton Live during the service. My question to everyone out there is how do you create your own loops? What software do you use? Do you record analog audio into samples? Use midi? Are there any good resources for a beginner to learn how to create loops for use in worship? I have found a lot of information about setting up Ableton and stuff for sound guys, etc, but must be looking in the wrong place, or the wrong search terms for actually creating the loops themselves! Thanks!
jjeremias

Well, the first thing you should know is that there are plenty of ways to go about doing this. The method I use is to create full sequences (a whole song start to finish) using Propellerhead Reason. This is a program that uses midi and their pre-recorded samples to create the sounds you want. I think of Reason like a library of instruments. Once I've set everything the way I want it, I either export it to a wav file or rewire into Live (open Live then reason and it automatically rewires) and do some mastering with Live's build in audio effects before saving it as a wav file. From there I load the wav file into a new set along with other wav files for other songs and use Live to trigger them. If you want to use live to trigger samples rather than full sequences, you can do the same thing by just saving specific loops or chunks of a song and triggering them with a midi controller or some sort. Some people build loops entirely in Live and some people use other software like Pro Tools or Logic.
mattmccoy

I prefer to use a program called Reason or Ableton. Both of these programs have large sample libraries (any many others to buy as add-ons), which you can use to build your own loop sequences using the virtual instruments and drum sequencers within the software. Once I build the individual loop parts, I export them and run them live during worship using Ableton. Most of the time though, I'll build an entire track or a song and either play it to that arrangement or cut it up into individual sections of the song - then trigger them individually within Ableton. Hope this helps. Get Reason, and start messing around with the samples and pre-made loops that come with it. They are easy to manipulate and build your own.
wwojczyk

Thanks a bunch guys for your comments about how you do this. I am leaning toward Reason for creating the loops and Ableton to trigger them during worship. Do you know of any good tutorials that show how to build like an intro loop for a David Crowder song or something like that as an example? This is the type of thing that I am hoping to work into the worship first. Some really simple parts that will help to "fill-in" the gaps. We typically have 1-2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 keyboard and drums. So there are some neat patterns and "David Crowder-like" loops that I am hoping to create to augment our worship team. Thanks again for the help!
dustsam15

I think using reason to create loops and ableton live to trigger during the services is the easiest and most flexible way to go. As far as tutorials I would just jump on youtube and look for some basic tutorials. Also, I would try to get a few loops and see what some other people are doing. See how they set things up, what sounds and instruments they use etc. The amazing thing about Reason is that is has SO many sounds, but the overwhelming thing about Reason is that it has SO many sounds. When creating loops I often spend the majority of my time finding and tweaking the sounds I want to use. Take full advantage of the favorites folder in instrument selection, it will save you tons of time. Also templates are your friend. They will save you so much time doing menial things to get yourself set up. As far as finding some loops to look at, you can go to a site called sacredloops.org and check some out. Click on where it says content at the top and you will be able to get to a place where you can download some loops for free...maybe even some David Crowder ones! The site is older and hasn't been updated in years. Most of the loops were made in Reason 3 but it should give you a good frame of reference to get going and get your feet wet.