I have a new Ipad and I have looptimus. What else do I need to buy to make this work?

Looptimus

RMoore

over 6 years ago (edited)

Title says it all. New Ipad, New (kickstarted) Looptimus. What else do I need to purchase to make this work. I'd like the cheap options if possible because I don't like spending $30 on a USB coupler... just saying. I'm guessing I should only need two additional things that didn't come in either package, 1 power supply for the controller and 1 USB type-a female to female... but I see some topics saying that even after connecting, it doesn't work. Looptimus comes with no power supply and a USB Type B male to Type A male. Ipad comes with Lightning to USB type A male. Perhaps something for the designers to think about for making rev2. :) For the cost, it would have been great for this to work right out of the box. I plan on using Prime. I can't wait it get it running.
TheCalebDenman

over 6 years ago

In general, you have EVERYTHING you need to start using the Looptimus and a computer. The $30 Apple Camera Connection Kit is just a necessary evil unfortunately, not because of a LoopCommunity design flaw, but because of 2 reasons., 1. the way Apple regulates adaptors. Only their 30-Pin -or- Lightning to USB camera adapter will work. 2. The way the USB standard works in the first place. The reason/need for a 30-Pin or Lightning adapter is because USB itself requires a driver to communicate with devices. The 30Pin or Lightning cable/adapter does away for that driver need because it only lets through what "signals" it needs to communicate between the two devices if that makes sense.
RMoore

over 6 years ago

So I only need to buy the official Apple Camera Connection Kit. Generic ones don't work because reasons and I don't need an additional power supply cause for $30 apple's got me covered? Thanks for the help, btw. I just want to be smart before blowing money on the wrong thing.
PYMalive

over 6 years ago

So an additional question here ... I was running PRIME / looptimus via a iPhone 4s using the Camera Connection Kit. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5s which does not accept the 30 pin connection. I don't see that Apple offers a Camera Connection kit with the lightening connector. What's my move? Thanks for your help.
TheCalebDenman

over 6 years ago

they do make one actually...you've just gotta use the right terminology when searching for it...it took me forever to find it... http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter
PYMalive

over 6 years ago

Brilliant. Thanks!