Logic & MainStage

Mainstage Click

Logic & MainStage

nicklawmusic

about 8 years ago (edited)

What is the best way to run a click track in Mainstage? I've tried several things: 1) Creating a click track the length of the song in Logic then importing that into a Playback instance in Mainstage. Works well but means my click tracks take up unnecessary room on my hard disk. 2) Create an Ultrabeat sequence. Have given this a go. Although this means each song doesn't new to have yet another Playback plugin, I was having some syncing issues. Occasionally, the Playbacks would be out of time with each other. In the instances when they weren't, Ultrabeat would keep playing even when I stopped the Playbacks or, worse, when I changed patch, carry on playing. If I could get this method to work ad all sync up without issues, it would be my preference. 3) Creating a short AIFF click loop and running it through playback. This works well until I want to cycle a section if the song, after which the click disappears because it thinks I wanted to turn it off. Any ideas what would work best? Does loop back do anything like this?
mrdister

I would just do one Playback plugin at the concert level (click the concert name in Edit mode) with 1 bar of click. In that Playback plugin options, hit the Cycle button so that it always cycles and make sure it's sync'd. Then, each patch would be a separate song with its own tempo set in patch properties. Your problem listed above would be resolved by having this Click track be on a random group (Group Z) with all your loop track being on a different group (Group A). You start a song by hitting the master play/stop button. It starts everything at once. In the middle of the song, if you want to cycle the chorus, you hit your button assigned to loop cycle(loop --> Playback --> Play Options --> Cycle). This cycles your loop track but would not also un-cycle Click since it's on a different group :) The only downside to this setup is that when a song ends, the click would still have to be stopped manually by hitting the PLAY/STOP button. For that reason, I prefer workflow 1 that you listed above. Does that all make sense?
mrdister

Also, to answer your question, the Loopback plugin wouldn't do that. That's more live looping during performance (similar in function to a boss rc-30)
nicklawmusic

That's helpful thank you.