Logic & MainStage

Mainstage Crossfade

Logic & MainStage

bryanshively

about 8 years ago (edited)

I'm fairly new to Mainstage and I've been researching this topic for several days but haven't had any luck in figuring this issue out. I play keys for a church and I've introduced using plugins into the mix. Right now we're using Omnisphere and it's working fine for the most part using the Ipad Omni TR app to control it. The only thing is I'm really the only keys players who's somewhat "tech savvy" and I want to be able to just make each song a set with however many patches in them. Then I can keep the patches consistent, volume levels, tempos, and it would be relatively hands off for the other players. They just load up the songs and have to work some sliders. Since the keys are nearly always the transition piece going from song to song with no breaks I would love to have a crossfade between the different sounds in the sets without the abrupt sound change that I'm experiencing now. Is this possible between songs set up as sets?
mrdister

Bryan Are you saying that you are playing keys plugged into MS. While holding down a chord, you change patches to a new sound. As soon as you go to the new patch, it kills your audio? If so, under patch properties, de-select 'Instantly Silence Previous Patch.'
bryanshively

I probably didn't explain that well and I'm at work so I can't check my computer right now. No it sustains the notes held by the previous patch but once I switch and play the transition chord or what have you it is an abrupt change. I would like to be able to crossfade to the new sound so it is more subtle. A less desirable solution might be to just set the pad/string patch of each song to a slider. We don't normally do more than 4 songs and we have 4 sliders on our MO8. I would love it if our keys players only had to work at most two sliders one for master volume and a crossfader to the next patch.
mrdister

Gotcha. Yeah there's no way to have it automatically lower the volume of the previous patch while increasing the volume of the new patch simultaneously. The best you could do is stop with a fade out so that the volume tapers for x amount of seconds. You would still have to manually use a volume pedal or knob like you're suggesting.
bryanshively

Ok thanks Kyle. Is that how you would do it manually with a keyboard without loops? Just fade one up and the other down, it's what I'm doing now pretty much. Could I have it set to where the same slider controls different patch volumes exclusively depending on the set they're located in I wonder. I would love to have this very streamlined and simple for the other players. I would like to use loops for all this as it would nix confusion on cuts and make transitions easier but I recognize were not quite there yet.
bryanshively

I'm also getting an interruption in the sound when I switch patches too and can't figure out how to stop that. If it can't be stopped I can see why Hillsong has a hardware pad that plays in between transitions from the same keyboard and they fade in. I thought this would be a lot easier to figure out but I guess we'll keep using Omni TR till I can figure this out.
mrdister

1) Did you uncheck 'Instantly Silence Previous Patch?' 2) Is your 'Next Patch' button also assigned with a STOP command? The LC Template, if I'm not mistaken, has a STOP assignment alongside 'Next Patch' to reset the master clock.
bryanshively

My apologies for the confusion. I am not using the LC template I just made a basic keys template. The box has not been checked. The sound is sustaining its just a synthy stab plays from the previous sound when I switch that would make it unusable for live purposes. I could upload it and show you I suppose.
mrdister

Oh okay, so it's not really killing the audio then? It's just sustaining the previous sound until you change patch and let go of the keys which is why you want a crossfade? Yeah I don't know of any way to create a crossfade like that in patches.
tsho08

almost 8 years ago

For me, I use a second keyboard. In that way I can have the smae sound built into the next patch. I can then hold that patch and switch to the next and bring in my new sounds. Or if I'm using both keyabords at the same time I'll use faders as mentioned before. If you are having people without much experience maybe the best option is to get a great pad on the hardware and play out that way. I have a great wave crashing sound for my mircokorg xl that I use sometimes while switching between patches, sounds great going from fast tunes to slow ones. Especially since it's not set in a key so I can usually play on top of the next tunes' intro and maybe even verse.
Soul_Servant

over 7 years ago

Hey bro, I'm no expert but I think I understand your problem and have experimented with different ways of getting the crossfade thing happening. It may not be the ideal method for your situation but this is what I do. What you can do is have the next song's sound on your current patch and crossfade before you change patch. So you hit your last chord or whatever, fade in the next songs sound, change patch while holding the sustain pedal and the next chord you put down will sound identical to the sound you just faded in. Also what I found helpful is Mainstage's ability to invert faders. So effectively what this enables you to do is fade in and out with only one slide down of one fader. In other words you can make it so pulling down one fader will lower the volume of one channel strip but raise the volume of another simultaneously. To do this you just click on the fader you want to use, map it to a channel strip you want to fade, add an additional mapping to the same fader, map it to the second channel strip you you want to fade, click on the tab labeled mappings and then check the invert box of the channel strip that you want to fade in. In this section you can also decide the max and min volume that the physical fader can push the channel strip volume to. So you can make it so you can fade one sound all the way out with out pushing your fade in sound all the way to +6 on the channel strip. Sometimes for more high intensity synth sounds I like to use a low pass filter to soften the sound before the fade. I just map the frequency slider on the low pass filter to my mod wheel, you can just use a spare fader if you want to though. Another option is to just assign the low pass to your fade in/out fader. What I've found with this method though is that its not ideal if your using Mainstage's in built click because often the band will want the new tempo before you're done low pass filtering and fading. Why this is a problem for me is using Mainstage's click means you can play more rhythmic based sounds and have them lock un time with it. I've only just realized this and I'm working on solutions for this problem now. Hope I've helped, cheers.