Making a rehearsal cd using ableton

Ableton

harperchurch

over 6 years ago (edited)

Hi All, I am hoping to make a rehearsal cd for each instrument. I have wav files in place for each instrument and I'd like to remove/mute one at a time and have the whole mix minus one instrument for practice purposes. So, if that was confusing . . . I want a full band minus drums so my drummer can rehearse without hearing the wav file drummer. Is there a way to export the audio in this way?
JCrouchMusic

over 6 years ago

It sounds like a lot of work for one week. Do you plan on making CD's for every Sunday's set?
harperchurch

over 6 years ago

NO!! Big Christmas production only.
JCrouchMusic

over 6 years ago

Gotcha! Well if you have all the separate files in Ableton you should be able to mute/deactivate the channel you want silent and then export the Master track. Should come out with all but the muted track. I can't think of a faster way to do it though. Lot of export waiting.
harperchurch

over 6 years ago

That's what I thought and tried. I get the exported wav but it is silent. Nothing.
mattmccoy

over 6 years ago

Yep. You should just be able to export the Master. Mute all the instrument that you don't want. You'll have to do this for each instrument. If it's silent, make sure you're exporting the entire track (CMD + A) and also make sure that the audio is actually hitting the Master fader. If not, you need to change your audio routing settings.
nlsn

over 6 years ago

Why give them a CD? Why not upload it to a cloud server, and give them the web address so they can download it and make their own CD? Or put it on their mp3 player, or iPod, or iPad, etc...
mattmccoy

over 6 years ago

Ya know Nelson... you make a good point here. :)
harperchurch

over 6 years ago

Good point but you guys probably don't have a 70 year old guy playing guitar and 58 year old on keys. Trust me, CDs are a stretch! The cloud would be ridiculous.
nlsn

over 6 years ago

Actually, I'm there too. I feel your pain. Lots of folks I deal with cannot get over the fact that you don't need a physical object to hand them when they want a copy of the music we rehearse. It takes time, and a LOT of patience to change your culture. It's like turning a ship... slow steady pressure and a lot of input... repeated input, before they begin to change. What if I want to listen to the music in my car on the morning commute? Well... they have conversion kits or adaptors for car stereos that allow you to play mp3s. What if I just want to play it in my home/office? Well... there's this thing called an mp3 player and speakers, or your smart phone, or you can use your computer. Be intentional about spending personal time with them outside of the usual church atmosphere and show them how to use these technical tools to their advantage.