Metronome Subdivisions

Ableton

jfriedman93n3h

over 5 years ago (edited)

quick question on using Live's metronome. If I want to subsidize 8th note triplets at qtr.=62 what is the best way to do that? Thanks, Jon
nlsn

over 5 years ago

I believe you mean subdivide, correct? Ableton's built in default metronome has two pitches. High pitch denotes first count of the measure, and low pitch is the other main beats. I would first change the global metronome settings (upper left of the User Interface) to read 12/8. Then make sure the clips/tracks also have this setting in the clip window at the bottom of the User Interface. This will now require you to do some math to get the quarter note to be 62 bpm. (Actually, that would be the dotted quarter) I'm guessing multiply 62 by 3 to get the metronome setting to play your projected tempo. You might be better served in just going 6/8. Same procedure as 12/8, only less cumbersome. If you want more subdivisions, such as triplets in 4/4 with a more interesting sound to listen to, you'll need to put together a one measure long loop of percussion sounds (for example) and duplicate it for the length of the song. There is a drop down menu that allows you to change your grid in your tracks to triplets for that. I use right click on a PC or Option click on a Macbook Pro. I hope this helps. Best of luck!