Logic & MainStage

MIDI Controller for Mainstage

Logic & MainStage

LeviD

about 4 years ago (edited)

I play keys for my worship team. I am a MainStage user and I own an M-Audio Code 61 MIDI controller. I love the look and feel of the controller but I've been having a ton of problems with the compatibility of the software and the hardware together. I am to the point where I just want to buy a new and different MIDI controller. Anyone have any suggestions? I am specifically looking for hardware that is proven to work with MainStage. I mostly just need mappable keys, faders, knobs, and a few buttons at the very least. I am willing to try out separate controllers working together (for example, a keyboard with a separate board of knobs and faders). And I'm fine sticking with a 61 key setup.
JansonRoberts

about 4 years ago

Hey Levi, I personally use an M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard and it's been great with MainStage. I'm an avid Ableton Live user over MainStage for sure, but I also know a ton of guys who utilize Novation keyboards over just about anything else other than a Nord. What kind of issues are you seeing?
LeviD

about 4 years ago

Hey Janson, Thank you for the suggestion. The issues I was having came about anytime I had multiple instruments in a channel strip within one patch. Anytime I played a chord, only one note would go through at a time, so if I played another note while still sustaining the others, it would cancel out all the other sounds and only one would come through. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, all I knew was that I never had that problem when using other keyboards, and a friend of mine with the same keyboard setup and MainStage had the same exact problem. Kind of a bummer because I really liked the clean look and nice feel of the Code Series. I was actually just looking into the Novation keyboards and they sparked my interest. I definitely need to try one out in person before buying one, but you know that it definitely works with MainStage? And you would highly recommend one of those?
JansonRoberts

about 4 years ago

Yeah, for sure. Any basic MIDI keyboard will work great with MainStage. You'll just need to map all the parameters in MS and you'll be good to go. Typically I've seen the Launchkey 61 as the main keyboard being used. You can read up on it here: https://us.novationmusic.com/keys/launchkey#
LeviD

about 4 years ago

Thank you Janson! I was also looking into Akai and Komplete. Are those also great options?
JansonRoberts

about 4 years ago

Akai is a great controller. VERY reliable and designed to really be more of a controller than a keyboard. A lot of professional and studio musicians use Akai's products. As for the Komplete products, they're made by Native Instruments (some of the best products in the business). They really excel at their sound design software such as Kontakt and Komplete, but I'm sure their hardware is great, too. You should go online to read some of their reviews.