Logic & MainStage

New MainStage user, pulling hair out... Transport controls not working

Logic & MainStage

adessmith

about 8 years ago (edited)

Hi everyone. I am new the the forums here... A little background... I've been playing guitar for about 15 years. I'm an IT person by trade, and I've been using ableton live in worship for probably 5 years. Although I am new to mainstage, but SHOULD be perfectly capable of setting this up. Recently, I've been looking at mainstage, because I like the customization options.... However, there is something strange going on and I've spent literally all day working on it. It is now almost after 11 pm and I've been trying to make this work at least since lunch time. I cant get the transport controls (specifically, play/stop) to work with more than one song (patch) in a "concert" file. I have tried mapping a play button globally to the play/stop function... which does nothing. I have also tried mapping it on a "per patch" basis [Track 1 / playback / Play/Stop (From start)] which seems to never work properly in "perform" mode. (and yes, I selected "start with play action" on all my samples) In performance mode the play button only works on the patch which was previously selected in edit mode before switching to perform. The space bar only plays the samples in the first patch, reguardless of which patch I have selected in perform mode. I am running on an older macbook running snow leopard with 2GB Ram. I have uninstalled and reinstalled mainstage. I've tried the built in 8 backing tracks template, and I've tried creating my own. Any ideas here? I'm at a total loss!
mrdister

I have never seen that happen. As long as the tracks are sync'd, in the same group, and the play button assigned to either master play or track play, it should work. Maybe don't press the space bar to play? WIth that said, I can definitely say that it is not been reported by anyone using the LC Mainstage Template if you choose to go down that route :)
adessmith

I really hated that there was no demo for MS2... I didnt wanna spend $30 only to spend a whole day trying to make it work. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how the templates work with the mappings. I was planning on making sure I could make it work before I bought the template. My my whole family has been home with the flu this week, and my HVAC system stopped working today... My wife is not happy about the fact that I spent all day yesterday messing with this thing, and its made me so ill (being sick didnt help any). I dont have the nerve to tell her I need to spend another $10 as a "test"... LOL The past few days have been a good time to check it out, because I was at home, sick, with no obligations. One day when I have some more time I might come back to it. For now, I think I'm going to continue on with Ableton Live. After seing how it works, I'm not really sure its a better solution for me anyway. I liked the fact that I can get everything with a song setup, and save it as a patch so I dont have to go through that process every time I want to add it to a set. HOWEVER, it looks like I would still have to edit each playback track to set groupings on my tracks to ensure I dont have any in the same group, every time I build a set. If I had less than 26 songs it would be easier, because I could just assign each of them a letter. You would think there would be some sort of play action that would just play the tracks in that patch, and ignore all the others.
mrdister

I have ONLY ever seen it play the playback tracks in that patch. You don't have to put them on different groups. All of my Playback Plugins are on Group A for every patch of the concert. When you press play, it knows to just play the tracks on that patch so there must be some setting in your concert that is throwing that.
adessmith

You are right, I just tried the LC tempate and everything works great! Thank you SOOO much. This has been driving me nuts! My understanding was that the 8 track tempate built into MS2 was for the same purpose, but it just dosent seem to work properly if you have more than one patch. So I've still got a few issues keeping me from wanting to switch everything over from ableton. 1. It doesnt look like you can cue up the next song while the current song is playing. Because I run everything from a foot controller, this means I'd have to move quickly to make a fast transition from one song to the next, especially if we decide to skip a song. Sometimes it feels like I'm gonna strip a gear in my brain as it is (Playing guitar, trying to end a song, changing the page on my ipad, trying to cue up the next track, looking for the "yes, we are all ready" expressions from the other band members, and switching patches on my POD and variax guitar) I have a bluetooth pedal for the ipad, and my pod controls my variax guitar over VDI so its all done with my feet... sometimes I i just feel like im gonna loose my balance or trip over myself! LOL. I like the fact that, right now, each button on the controller fires off a song, so I'm not having to do the toggle thing to get to the song I want to trigger. 2. Speaking of transitions, what would be the suggested way to cue up a looped "click only" at the same tempo as a song patch and use it as a lead in to the song... possibly with a loop of a pad sound? I do this occasionally to make a smooth transition from a time of prayer into a set of songs. I dont want to store it as an intro to for a song (and cycle it) because I might only use it 1 in 10 times we do the song, the other 9 times I want to jump right into the song. 3. Some of my tracks are mp3 files (not many) and these dont seem to import to MS2. I will have to convert these to wav files if I want to create patches for these songs. I also have some cues created as midi files which link to vocal cues in a drum rack. I would have to figure out how to bounce these down to wav files. Just a matter of taking the time to do it, and I WILL if I decide I can work around the first two issues. I've become a creature of habbit with ableton live, but im not above changing. I love the idea of jumping right into a part of a song durring a rehersal. Im asked to do that ALL the time, and they never understand that the way the songs are setup I dont have the ability to do that. I think MS2 would be a lot less intimidating for someone else to opperate if I miss a service. Also, I leave my midi controller at the church so even when I get the set list the day before (we rehearse a few hours before the service), I cant assign midi values to my scenes in ableton. I need the controller physically attached to do that. It would be nice to have those mappings be the same each week (patch up, patch down, play/stop, etc...) and I could load up the concert file with patches at home the night before, and be ready to go Also, I dont have my interface with me at home (presonus firebox), but I am assuming I can route busses in MS2 to outputs on the firebox... I'm curious how this is handeled when you open a project, which routes to an interface, but it is disconnected. I've never been pleased with the way live handles this. If I open a project file at home without the firebox connected, live changes the output to the speaker outputs. Then, when I connect it back to the firebox, I have to go into preferences and set the output device back to the firebox otherwise it just plays out of the integrated speakers. Sounds like both programs will have some "qwerks", I'm just hoping MS2 solves more of these than it introduces.
mrdister

I'm glad that worked! Here's my thoughts 1. You cannot cue up the next song/ patch while one is playing. What I do is set the patch properties to 'Start on Patch Change' so that I just press 'Next Song' at the end and it goes right into it without also having to press PLAY. 2. I would put a concert level track loaded with the EXS24 plugin. This is a sampler plugin where you could drop a long pad sample into each note of an octave. Then, MIDI map a controller to each note so that you can press the button in a patch and it will play that pad note. More discussion on that here: http://loopcommunity.com/content/ambient-pads-in-mainstage 3. Playback plugin requires a WAV, AIF, or CAF so you will have to convert MP3s For your last question, in Logic you get the 'Previously selected audio interface not available' message if you launch a saved concert that references a device not plugged in. If I remember correctly, you get this every time until changing it. I would think this is the same in MS. I like MS for the simplicity of having it go through the whole song without pressing anything live.
adessmith

Thanks for your help. I'm still playing around with the "start on patch change" setting.... Did you mean that I should change this in the playback plugin for each channel strip, or is there somewhere different? When I do this, it causes the patch to also load at unexpected times such as switching between design, edit, and performance modes. I also noticed that if you advance after the last song in a concert file, it jumps back to the first one. It may pay to put an empty patch at the beginning and end of each set.