new to this

Ableton

mscholes

over 6 years ago (edited)

Hi everyone I just discovered this site and am keen to download some loops onto my laptop. Before I buy just a really simple question; once I have purchased the loops (multitrack) how do I insert them into a garageband project? thanks! Matt
nlsn

over 6 years ago

Welcome Matt! When you purchase and download your multi-track, you'll be getting a zip file with the individual audio tracks (also called song stems) inside. Are you using an iPad or laptop? If you're using an iPad, perhaps you'd be interested in this site's software called PRIME, designed for iPad and very useful. Here's a video link that might be of assistance to you: http://youtu.be/QxULyCoCjO8 There are also instructional videos here at this site under the "Training" heading above.
Volume571

over 6 years ago

So I'm new to this looping thing and would like to know if ableton live 9 Intro software is good to use and get started ? What else would I need to get started? I'm also looking to get the Kmi soft step 2controller ,would those two things to gether be enough to get started? Any help would be appreciated
JCrouchMusic

over 6 years ago

Steph, Ableton 9 Intro is a great start for software. You will also need a way to output the audio, either an interface or split 1/8'' to 1/4" cable. I'm assuming you already have acquired or are looking into an In-Ear-Monitoring system. If not I would surely do some research there.
Volume571

over 6 years ago

Jesse thanks for answering my question ,I've been browsing this site and there is so much info I don't know where to begin . Why would I need an interface ,what are the advantages of that versus the 1/8 ?I'm just lost and could really use some more info. Any video links that could possibly explain it for a beginner ..
JCrouchMusic

over 6 years ago

So Ableton is what organizes and controls your loops/tracks on your computer. That audio has to come out of your computer and get sent to your sound system in one of many ways. The most common two are 1) Using an audio interface that connects (USB) to your computer and receives the audio, then sends it out by connecting to your sound system (usually a 1/4" cable). The other method 2) is sending the audio out of your computers 1/8" headphone jack, using a 1/8" cable and then connecting that to an adapter from 1/8" to 1/4" so that you can be able to send the audio into your sound system. That is a basic layout of how a loop/multitrack system should work. There should be something on youtube, or maybe in the loop community help videos under the "Trainning" tab. Hope this helps!
nlsn

over 6 years ago

Steph asks: "...is ableton live 9 Intro software is good to use and get started ? What else would I need to get started? I'm also looking to get the Kmi soft step 2controller ,would those two things to gether be enough to get started? Any help would be appreciated" Yes, Ableton Live 9 Intro is more than capable for launching loops in worship. You really don't need anything else to get started, but will learn that the more you add to your setup, the more flexibility you will have. The most interesting thing about Ableton (to me) is in observing how each person uses it. Everyone is a little different, and it's a flexible enough platform to use in many different ways. If you already have an iPad, you don't even need Ableton. You can just download PRIME, buy a loop or multitrack and you can get going on your own for very little money invested. The Softstep is a versatile midi controller to use and it also has many different ways to apply in your worship services, but keep in mind that there is a steep learning curve to find out more on how to program it to do all the cool things. Check out the LOOPTIMUS as well. Both are midi pedals, and both can be useful in various ways. Steph also asks: "Why would I need an interface ,what are the advantages of that versus the 1/8 ?I'm just lost and could really use some more info." Your computer has a built-in basic interface with the headphone & microphone jack. You can plug in with a stereo 1/8" plug that splits(separates the signal) into two different 1/4" mono plugs for your sound system (or Direct Input box). One of those you pan one direction (left or right) for click and cues, and the other you pan the opposite direction for music that everyone will hear. Jesse did a great job of explaining this above. If you want to get an interface, this reduces the load a little on your computer, as well as gives you additional I/O (ins and outs) for mixing, depending on how much you're willing to spend. One of the hallmarks of Ableton Live 9 is that it is very flexible in how you can route your audio using the I/O drop down menus throughout the interface. I highly recommend you cruise over to the TOOLS tab of this site and just start watching all their videos on the subject to get an idea of what you may need... http://loopcommunity.com/training
tsho08

over 6 years ago

Also Steph, I'm noticing that many new computers are starting to do the one audio jack for audio in and out. This is bad for two reason. First, you cannot get incoming audio and use the jack for output at the same time. Secondly it seems every computer with this makeup has some "bleed" or leakage or sound from one side to the other so when using click and loop on different side you may hear the click come through the speakers that everyone hears in the audience. In this case you would NEED an audio interface.