Night of Worship

Leading Worship

agmattyb

7 months ago

I'm planning a night of worship for my church and I'm curious how some others go about these? We've done them before, and they're always well received, but I want to promote an environment of authenticity. I don't want these to be too scripted or over-prodcued, but there is a significant element of preparation that has to go into these.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or things that have worked well for you?

mattmccoy

7 months ago

I'd recommend planning out a setlist, but with elements of scripture reading, tesimonials, worship-focus moments throughout. You want to have a plan, but also have a little freedom and time to stay in a certain moment or song for a while if you decide to. Make a plan, but also plan in time so that you can flow more if you want.

agmattyb

6 months ago

Yea, I'll definitely try to plan more flex time in the future. Our worship night went really well, but I never like when they feel like, Song. Song. Song. Song. Song. End.

ShawnThomasStudios

7 months ago

Great topic. I agree with how you stated "I don't want these to be too scripted or over-prodcued, but there is a significant element of preparation that has to go into these."

An element we've included before is a focus on "the Arts" in worship for these nights - so whatever your church may have or might be interested in for future minitries like drama, flags, sign language, live art, interpretive dance, hand drum teams, and so on. It gives it a different kind of energy and peeks people's interest. The other cool thing it does, is allow you as the coordinator to delegate out some sections to these other groups so you don't have to plan the whole thing - like maybe someone puts together a 5 minute skit - that's one less song for your team to have to work on. Plus you never know what new ministry might grow out of it or what gifts were present in your congregation that were unknown until now.

Just an idea to throw out there. I realize every church and situation is different. :)

Peace,

Shawn

agmattyb

6 months ago

Those are some really great creative ideas. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to implement those. It's encouraging to someone like me who has thought about that kind of stuff, but wondered if it would work for us...

Rlpilcher3

7 months ago

We had a Night Of Worship recently that I thought was one of our best ever. We removed the front 5 or so rows of chairs so there was plenty of room for people to come to the front and worship. We were really prepared. We had a couple of vocals only practices, a couple of instrumentals only practices and then a couple of combined practices. With a total of six practices we really knew the material. I think that helped a lot in that we were so comfortable with the songs as a team, we were able to really enter into worship. I think the fact that we did have a plan and had practiced it well not only allowed us to enter in, but it also allowed spontaneity without causing stress to the members of the team. We were able to flow wherever the Spirit led and everyone was on board. It was an awesome night of worship, prayer, and communion.

agmattyb

6 months ago

I love this. And I think in the future, we'll definitely incorporate more rehearsals focusing specifically on the Nights of Worship.