Producing Tracks

Orchestral Instruments (Live)

Producing Tracks

benworcester

over 9 years ago (edited)

I have a curious question for you. In our church, we have an orchestra (yeah, the every instrument, 25-30+ people kind). When I'm building loops, I'm always conscious of that. I'm currently working on Tim Hughes's "God of Justice" and there's a really prominent cello part. For us, I'm making the loop to add ambiance and presence while not stomping on the part I'll write out for the cello section (which will mirror the recording). It seems that most folks are looking to have that sort of thing with a high quality sample in the loop (instead of played by a live musician). Which do you prefer? Do many of your ministries have cellists available? Then there's a follow-up question... is anyone interested in actual paper music for a part like that in addition to the looped audio?
mike

Hey Ben,

We've done both actually.  What we've found works best is having 2 parts in the loop: 1st being a supporting part that follows the lead and can work when played along with the live player and then 2nd being the lead line that we can turn on/off or up/down depending on the player and their skill to play it.

mattmccoy

Yeah, most people don't have live string players... so it's good to include both in your tracks - lead and supplements.