Random pops during playback

Prime App

shaunkhiu

over 7 years ago (edited)

Hi Prime users, I recently had a rehearsal with my band in which we used my uploaded tracks. While the click and cue tracks sounded fine in my in-ears, there were these random "pops" (about 2-3 times per song) on the main backing track output that I can't account for, and which weren't there when I created the tracks in Logic nor when I did a playback on my iPad (without hooking up to a PA) to check if the track sounded fine. Not sure what the issue could be. I'm wondering what happens to the tracks as it gets processed through the Prime uploader and if there's steps we can take when uploading to prevent any possible glitches due to file conversions. My tracks were from a 16bit/44.1kHz project in Logic, bounced to 320kbps mp3 files, zipped up using OSX's native compression utility before uploading.
shaunkhiu

over 7 years ago

I investigated the problem a little more, and I believe it's the click track (left channel) that's leaking into the backing track (right channel) for just a split second. The "pop" is actually a beat of my click sound. I played the track over my in-ears to test, and whenever I heard the click bleed, I would pause the track, rewind to a few seconds before that, and play it again. The click bleed appears to happen randomly, as it wouldn't happen at that exact same spot when I tried to replicate the problem. This definitely causes major reliability issues when using Prime in a gig setting. I generally have my click at a relatively loud volume (as compared to the backing track), so any instance of click bleed into the house PA is going to be extremely unpleasant for the audience. I'm pretty bummed about this, but hopefully a fix can be found soon. If it helps, I'm running Prime on an iPad 2 (32GB), and it's the only app/process that's running.
chrismisterek

over 7 years ago

Yeah I've had the same problem for a while. It's probably the output jack from the iPad/iphone. Don't have a solution as you can't use an ipad/iphone interface with prime to make sure what's on one side of the stereo output stays on that side.
ncloops

about 7 years ago

I would like an answer to this as well. I'm having the same issue. I have a newer iPad (only a few weeks old). The click and cues will randomly bleed through track channel. Thanks in advance for helping.
onecornerstone

about 7 years ago

I'm having the same issue. The same problem is happening with different iPads and cables. Has anyone found a solution?
mike

about 7 years ago

Hey guys - we're looking to your comments - they don't fall on deaf ears!
hamtim

almost 7 years ago

Any updates?
mike

almost 7 years ago

This was an edge case that should be fixed in the latest version - please make sure you've updated!
ToddGreen

4 months ago (edited)

I got rid of the popping and clicking. I am using the Prime app with a Mac Book Pro over Dante audio. I am using 2 channels (Click and Stems).

I went to the Dante Virtual Sound Card and changed the Latency setting from 4ms to 10ms and that fixed the popping and crackling. The problem was that the computer's processor wasn't fast enough to process as that level. Making that adjustment fixed my problem.

On another note; When I first set this system up I had to make sure that there was only one Master for the clock. I chose to make the sound board as my master clock. You can find those setting in the Dante Controller window.

I don't pretend to understand all of the Clock stuff so here is a good place to learn more.

https://dev.audinate.com/GA/dante-controller/userguide/webhelp/content/clock_status_view.htm

Anyway, I hope that helps.