Producing Tracks

Reaper and Stem Creation

Producing Tracks

WanHee

about 2 months ago

Hi all, newbie here. I'd like to produce multitracks for Prime. I use Reaper as my DAW. I am wondering if anyone can point me to tutorials on how I would create stems with sections i.e intro, verse, chorus etc. Cheers!

mattslack

about 1 month ago

We don't have any tutorials on production, however you can just produce the track with the same arrangement as the version you're referencing, and our team will add in the sections! The first step would be to submit your community producer application via the following link. https://loopcommunity.com/en-us/upload

When you click the link, select the "Buy" option, and you'll be taken to the producer application portal where you can submit your application.

WanHee

about 1 month ago

Thanks Matt!

Jenglerkeys150

about 1 month ago

Hey WanHee! I've just started doing this myself to upload personal tracks for my church. Here are the steps I've been using to get my own stems and sections into Prime:

1. Like Matt said, produce the song in your DAW, just as though you were producing any other song. You'll want to add some markers as well to help keep your song organized (here's how on Reaper: https://www.soundsnap.com/blog/2-reaper-hacks-to-help-organize-your-projects/#:~:text=To%20add%20a%20marker%2C%20click,item%2C%20or%20just%20press%20M.&text=You'll%20see%20the%20marker,%2C%20color%2C%20or%20ID%20number.)

2. Once all your instrument parts are programmed/recorded, you'll need to add and program a dedicated MIDI click track, separate from the built-in click that comes with your DAW. I do this with a generic Woodblock VST, but you can also use a stick hit or some other percussive sound. You'll want to add some compression to keep the click from being too quiet.

3. After your MIDI click is programmed, hook up a vocal mic to your DAW and add a new audio track for recording your own cues ("verse, 2...3...4..." "volume down" "back in" etc.). Then you can work through your song in sync with your markers and record as many cues as you want! But make sure to trim your cue takes to cut out any dead space - just as you would trim any other vocal take.

4. Once the instrument tracks, cue track, and click track are all in place, each track (or group of tracks) will need to be soloed and mixed down into standalone audio files. I usually mix my drums into a single track, and I sometimes combine two synths into one, two pads into one, etc. Cues, click, piano, and bass all get their own separate tracks.

5. From there, make sure all your audio files are in a ZIP folder, which you can upload to loopcommunity.com. This video will get you the rest of the way through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPY6e-PZUc

God bless you as you serve Him with your music-making talents!

WanHee

about 1 month ago

Cheers for the detailed notes, brother! So if I've understood this correctly, if I use markers to split my songs into sections, the Prime app will read those and allow re-arrangment, looping, etc.?

By "program" do you mean simply add a midi track with a four count? Nothing special needed?

Jenglerkeys150

about 1 month ago

No, the markers are just for you in the DAW to help you with recording cues. Prime can't read marker files (not to my knowledge).

Yes, just add a track with a four count. You got it!

WanHee

about 1 month ago

Ah, I see. I guess that's what Matt above meant when he said they'd add the sections. I suppose I won't be able to split the sections then.

Thanks once again!

SummitPAMusic

6 days ago

It would be cool if we could export one blank midi file (that carries tempo/markers/key ect) into the zip folder. And have that split up the arrangement accordingly.