Logic & MainStage

Strange occurance, first time using mainstage live

Logic & MainStage

adessmith

about 8 years ago (edited)

I used mainstage in a live scenario last night for the first time, in combination with my new PODHD500. I mapped the top row of FS buttons (FS1-FS4) to mainstage to allow me to step through the set. I set up my tracks to play on patch change. I put blank patches in the spots where there was a prayer, and at the end of the set, to keep from accidently playing the next song, or going back to the first song. The set list was as follows: Set:Intro Song Patch: Trading My sorrows Patch: Prayer (blank) Set: Main Set Patch: 10,000 Reasons Patch: One thing remains Patch: END (blank) Everything went perfect until a little over halfway through "One thing remains". I changed my POD PATCH (NOT mainstage) and the track stopped. Luckily it wasn't that noticeable, and we continued without it. If it had happened during a "big" part of a song It would have messed things up worse. I'm not sure why it did this. I thought maybe I accidently hit the stop button, because it is just above the button for the patch I selected, BUT.. I noticed the patch was sitting on "prayer", which would have taken two presses either up or down. I'm just glad it wasn't a different patch which got selected. If trading my sorrows started playing in the middle of 10,000 reasons that would have really messed things up. Are there any common mistakes that might have caused this? I don't know if it was a problem with the pod, or with mainstage. If I am unable to figure this out, I might just go back to running ableton live, especially if this happens again.
mrdister

If you did trigger the button for PREV PATCH or NEXT PATCH using the LC MS template, it also has a STOP button mapped to that so it would have stopped it. It still would have required that you pressed the PREV/NEXT PATCH buttons and it doesn't sound like you did if I'm understanding you correctly. The Pod definitely sent some midi message to MS or it wouldn't have changed. I have used the Softstep and an Akai LPD8 and haven't had that problem running MS like that every week.
adessmith

I think the pod sends out some program changes by default, when you change its patches. I think it has something to do with communication between certain Line 6 devices. Is there anything built into mainstage or the LC template which would react to program changes without me creating a specific mapping for it? I'll go back and look at the midi assignments I made on the pod, just to ensure I didn't accidently assign a midi note to a foot switch I am using for pod functionality. I thought I made sure that the buttons I designated to midi notes where the only ones outputting midi notes, but I need to double check.
adessmith

Oh, and you say there is a "stop button" mapped to the previous and next patch buttons? Is that hard coded, or can I remove that mapping? I would like to "scroll through my set" to cue up the next patch, without stopping the previous patch. The "start on selection" option is a good workaround, but it becomes frustrating when building sets. Every time I select a patch it starts playing, even if I am in edit mode. When I remember, I follow up every "click" of a different set with a space bar to stop playback.
mrdister

You can remove that. Just click the previous and next patch buttons in Edit mode and look at the mappings at the bottom. You can X out the STOP mapping.