Swapping Patches for MIDI instruments with scenes

Ableton

dpmills

about 7 years ago (edited)

My praise band currently have 2 or 3 MIDI keyboards hooked up to Ableton at any one time. Across songs (and sometimes within a song), often we will have different keyboards playing different parts (for example, swapping from a piano to B3 as the song builds) Currently, I have around 15 different MIDI tracks on any given week so that any potential sounds are available and routed to the correct MIDI controller, and then have to turn off or on a sound manually with foot pedals. Is there a way to set up scenes that automatically change what each MIDI instrument will be playing? That way, all I have to do is program the scenes beforehand and set up follow actions…instead of trying to time out the swaps correctly.
mattmccoy

about 7 years ago

You could do this using Dummy Clips, and possibly the IAC driver. Have a clip in a scene enable and disable certain keyboard sounds. Or you can have the dummy click select a specific Zone in an Instrument Rack (Put all of your keyboard sounds in 1 Instrument Rack, on a single MIDI Track). Just some ideas.
dpmills

about 7 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the idea! I'll try that out and report back with findings. I currently use dummy tracks to avoid problems with the wrong tracks getting a signal (my foot pads all are transposed so the C corresponds to the root of whatever song we're playing) I've never really worked with instrument racks, so that'll be a new adventure