Tap Tempo glitchy/audio gaps

Ableton

aggiemike08

over 5 years ago (edited)

I would to be able to adjust the tempo using the tap while running the backing tracks. I got it to work...sort of. The backing tracks will adjust tempo to match the tap tempo, however there is some undesirable side effects of the audio while tapping. I'd describe it has "glitchy" where it sort of starts/stops real fast or skips slightly while adjusting tempos. So while I'm tapping it is quite obvious that it is affecting the audio playback of the backing tracks. If I stop tapping the glitchyness goes away and the backing tracks will continue on with the tempo that was tapped in...but in a live situation this just will not do. I would like to be able to tap the tempo and the backing tracks adjust the tempo without the glitchyness such that you wouldn't really notice any audio gaps while tapping. Is there some preference settings I need to adjust? Buffer size? other? Or is this just the way it is? I've seen a few max for live devices such as beat seek that look like it can adjust tempo without introducing audio glitches. Any advice?? Thanks!
nlsn

over 5 years ago

Beat Seeker is designed for what you are describing. It seeks out the changing tempo and locks in on it. I'm not sure that your problem might be linked to available ram memory or not but it might simply be that the tapping changes the tempo so drastically that it forces the jumps and gaps in playback as you describe as being "glitchy." Do you get the same result if you use the nudge feature? You can use the two buttons (nudge faster or nudge slower) to get the tempo to change in a gradual way. Maybe it would be gentler in moving the click and not cause the "glitchiness"
aggiemike08

over 5 years ago

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure it's a hardware problem...the computer is brand new (1-2 months old) and has 8 GB ram. i found a guy on YouTube demoing the concept and he seems to get a similar result. Is this just the nature of using the tap and is to be expected? Or does beatseek adjust the tempo in a smoother manner? When you tap do notice it in the audio playback as your tapping? Here is the YouTube video that may help understand what I'm talking about: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iek0Z7LM1QA
aggiemike08

over 5 years ago

So I think I may have discovered a few things that are helping. I apologize if this is "Backing Tracks 101" as I'm just getting started with this. Anyways, these two things seemed to help: 1. Combining the multi-tracks into 1 single track mixed accordingly. 2. Turning on the "Reduce Latency while monitoring" option. This has made it much much less noticeable. Now it works well if I continue tapping. Issues seem to pop up again if I stop tapping for a moment and then come back in again some time later. It seems that it "remembers the last tap" sometimes, and other times it doesn't so I'm trying to determine when the tap tempo resets.
nlsn

over 5 years ago

If you're finding yourself in need of changing tempo of music during worship often, perhaps the best way to smooth out the changes would be to go ahead and get Beat Seeker... https://youtu.be/PH18KBNnARk Otherwise, I would see about using the nudge buttons instead of the tap tempo to making more subtle tempo changes. As explained in the video link you provided, Ableton is measuring two quarter notes to determine how to change the tempo. If your first tap is drastically sooner or later than the beat last played by Ableton, that's what will alter the tempo to a larger or smaller degree. When making your manual change, try timing your first tap to the established tempo. Practice doing the change with only two taps. Just a few ideas. I hope this helps.