Tempo sync issues from Ableton to delay controller

Ableton

kendallsmith

over 7 years ago (edited)

I am trying to find out if I am doing something wrong. I am trying to use Ableton to send MIDI commands to my TC Electronic G-Natural foot controller to have Ableton cue up presets and a delay tempo for the pedal automatically. The presets are working fine but I am having problems getting the tempos to sync between Ableton and the foot controller. I have a MIDI track in Ableton sending out a CC command when I fire the beginning of the loop. For slower tempos such as 65 or 80 bpm, this syncs up well but once I get into higher tempos such as 110+bpm, there seems to be jitter and the tempo on the controller with vary +/- 1 bpm consistently. Is there something I am doing wrong or something I can do to correct this. Thanks. I am using a Presonus Firebox for my interface on OSX.
scoottie

over 7 years ago

Tempos varying like that when using MTC is normal and expected. Live is constantly updating the tempo. When you slave a second computer running Live the same thing happens. MTC does have "jitter" and hardware does play a role in consistency. You can somewhat compare it to a word clock. There's a reason why people pay $1500 for an Apogee world clock instead of using the one built into the interface. Higher quality gear will get you close to timing perfection while prosumer gear will get you in the ball park.