Using Apple Preview for Charts While Using Ableton Live 9 Standard on Same Computer

Ableton

DrumTom

almost 6 years ago (edited)

Greetings! I am using Ableton Live 9 Standard for multi-track playback during our music service at church. I saw some videos demonstrating the simultaneous use of Apple Preview, triggered by MIDI notes in Live, to show and move through a PDF songbook during playback. I'm using an early 2007 Mac Mini with OS X 10.6.8, linked by firewire to a DIGI 003 Rack for multiple audio outputs- the DIGI 002 has MIDI IN/OUT. I also use a wireless USB keybord to trigger song starts/stops in Live. I have been successful in turning pages via MIDI notes, but the dilema is in setting the keyboard to work with Live when Apple Preview is the active application. It seems only the active app can respond to keyboard commands. I have a plan to go with a wired USB Apple keyboard and add a wireless USB X-Tempo POK Pedal Board- which apparently send keyboard triggers, as well. My Mac Mini does not offer a multiple display option, so I'm forced to stay with a single monitor. Any ideas if I would be better off with an actual MIDI Pedal, like the Rolls MP128, or is there something I'm missing, as a work-around? I also have Bome's MIDI Translator Pro in the process. Thanks, in advance, for any input.
Kevin_onDrums

almost 6 years ago

I use a Korg Nano Pad 2 to control all my bands stuff. I control Ableton and ProPresenter with it. They are on separate machines though. I do know if you use an actual midi controller of sorts you can cue and trigger things in Ableton while it is in the background.
Kevin_onDrums

almost 6 years ago

You could also try iDisplay to give you an extended display. I have used it in the past to have a stage display forProPresenter on my tablet. Then if you have a tablet you can have your pdf displayed on that screen. That in theory would make it so ableton is the active app on one screen, and your pdf is displayed by itself on the other.
DrumTom

almost 6 years ago

Thanks, Kevin! I have determined that I will need a MIDI foot controller for what I'm looking to do. I bought a KORG NanoPad2 to experiment with and to use for programming at home- it allows me to control Ableton in the background with Preview the active app, thus confirming a MIDI pedal will fit the bill. I'm up in age and need a fairly large viewing surface for stage charts, so an iPad wouldn't be my first choice...I'm thinking a 52" comfort monitor, LOL!!! I appreciate your time and input. All praise to Jesus!