Using Arrangement View instead of Session View for Worship

Ableton

dspille

almost 6 years ago (edited)

I have been building and running my sets in arrangement view for the last several months based upon the methods described at https://youtu.be/ldUPBkGz6ig, and have even started adding dynamic guide cues to Ableton using the tutorial at https://youtu.be/aFk8mz1EHSo. I have been very pleased with the minimal workflow, the freedom that I've gained in being able to repeat or skip sections of the song, and how smooth the song transitions are. I was just wondering, is anyone else out there doing this? If so, how is it working for you?
tjwinters

almost 6 years ago

I use Arrangement View for editing but not performance. I prefer the vertical timeline of Session View as opposed to the horizontal of Arrangement. But I've seen many pros using Arrangement View so I feel like I should try it. Session view is (almost) just as versatile as Arrangement View for me; unfortunately it requires a couple of "Max for Live " devices to make it that way.
JansonRoberts

almost 6 years ago

Hey Dennis, Most worship leaders that I know are using arrangement view for editing/creating tracks and if they are using it during the live worship setting, they usually just tie every song together so they never have to stop the flow of the track. There is definitely room for flexibility in arrangement view, which is why Ableton is so great. Happy Looping! - Janson
sandbar17

almost 6 years ago

I've used Arrangement view using the information from those same YT videos for special occasions, but for us, Session view works better on a weekly basis. Those are great videos. I learned a lot from them.
deweb

almost 6 years ago

This will be the second week we've used Live in our set. First week, I used Session View, and this week I built the set in Arrangement View. I like arrangement view because of being able to throw my LC Cues in there more easily (and eventually for the dynamic cues that will be possible), but Session View seems simpler overall. Not as many options, but not as many variables to plan ahead. At this point, I think I'm going with Arrangement View, mostly so that I am already used to it when we start implementing dynamic cues for multimedia.
dspille

almost 6 years ago

Great comments! I wanted to expand a little more on my original post. I used Session View for a very long time, but once I found out about some of the really powerful things you could do in Arrangement View and began trying it out, I haven't gone back to Session View. That was several months ago. It's very easy to create crossfades and transitions between songs, and it keeps me from having to trigger the next song if I don't want to. I can still easily stop, skip songs, repeat bridges and choruses, etc. in Arrangement View. In addition. I use the method described in the video above to handle tempo changes in Arrangement View. You basically create a dummy audio clip and let its BPM control Ableton's Tempo. This makes building your sets week to week very fast. Another benefit is that you can more easily manage the size of your audio cache, as you no longer have to consolidate time to new scenes, which require more disk space as it produces yet another set of audio files. I strongly recommend at least checking out the short videos linked in the original post, as it can help you explore some really creative uses of Ableton.
mattmccoy

almost 6 years ago

They both work amazing for live performance. I personally use Session View because it's faster to set up, however Arrangement View is great if you want to program out an entire service from beginning to end. Takes more time to set up, but very nice and flexible.
Aksteve

over 5 years ago

Dennis, I've been trying to use arrangement view but they keep talking about midi mapping and a template but I can't find a video that has any recommendations for how to set up the template and mapping. Do you know of one?
LoopGospel

over 5 years ago

Here's a video we did on creating a set from start to finish in arrangement view https://youtu.be/Xk4y4yvRK7g