Virtual instrument automation in session view

Ableton

szymonfortuna

over 5 years ago (edited)

Hello Loop Community! I would like to ask for help as I can't find a way to automate my drum triggers in session view. Let me explain what I tend to do. I want to run backing tracks as well as use drum triggers to add additional sounds to my acoustic kit. The project: I have songs that contain audio clips for Clicktrack, Playback, Back Vocals. I devided a song to sections so I can have vertical blocks for ex. Intro, Verse Chorus, Bridge etc. All that is pretty straight forward. I want to use my drum triggers and with the virtual drum rack I want to assign specific samples that would be triggered. ex. Sample 1 on verse, Sample 2 on chorus etc. As the song goes I want to automate the trigger change process so when being in different sections of the song I get different samples that are triggered. I tried to add a virtual drum rack and used automation in the empty midi sample box to either turn on or off specific sample. It kind of works ok when I have one song but if I add another, I still have the instrument with the samples from the previous song that sound... Is there a way to assign a separate instance of drum rack to a certain song? I know I could use different midi notes for different songs. But My triggers generate one note that is assigned in the externalt midi interface. So basicaly I'm trying to use one midi note ex. D. I would like this note to produce different samples for different songs. I'd be so grateful If I could get any help on that!
MattFawcett

over 5 years ago

Szymon, I've worked with a band that was doing the same thing you are trying to do. The way we worked through it was by record enabling different MIDI tracks that have your different drum racks loaded in. Make one MIDI track that just has a single MIDI note and assign that note to your record arm on the Track that has the drum rack loaded that you want those sounds to play. If you want different samples for different parts of the song, then make another clip for that part of the song with another note and have that be your MIDI trigger for record enable on another MIDI track. Once you have it setup, it works great, just be sure to have it on a specific channel and using a specific IAC driver so that you don't accidentally trigger something else as you continue to create loops and expand your session file. Hope that helps. M@
dspille

over 5 years ago

You can also accomplish this by creating an instrument rack that holds each of your drum rack configurations, then use the chain feature to have the chain number set for each song to correspond to the rack you want to use. Check out the tutorial in the link below that covers this same concept for chain selection for instrument racks for keyboards/pads. https://youtu.be/lrA0sl-_bUU
szymonfortuna

over 5 years ago

Hello! First of all thank you for your answers! Matt I didn't understand your suggestion 100% but that forced me to dig in more. I think I came up with the solution that Dennis just gave now! I'm testing different ways of using the drum racks and automation! Sorry for the late answer but currently I'm away from the everyday internet ;)! Thank you for your feedback!