Want to Record my own pads...any advice?

Ableton

weshershberger

over 7 years ago (edited)

Hey all, So recently I began running Reason 6 into Ableton 8 with Rewire. My goal is to record some pads in all 12 keys of a nice patch i have in Reason. I only have the demo mode of reason, so I can't record in Reason which is why I am running Rewire. I've got all my audio and midi routing correctly set up, but when I record a clip of the pad and then try to loop it, it's just not smooth. You easily hear the loop and I don't want that. What are my options? I have tried playing with the beats vs complex vs complex pro in the sample, but no luck. I've tried starting and stopping the clip at different bars withing the recorded sample, but no luck. Am I missing something here? Or do I really need to hold an "A" note for 15 minutes while I record it? Thanks in advance for the insight!
nlsn

over 7 years ago

It's hard to help with suggestions without hearing what you're describing. I can try guessing... Perhaps the pad sound you're recording/looping is a slow opening sample with an attack/sustain/decay that evolves slowly over time. If that's the case, you might try making your loop longer to account for this. It might help to record it at a very slow tempo, then speed it up during playback. Sorry this isn't much help. Perhaps others with more expertise can help you.
taylorholt

over 7 years ago

You could add effects to it in Ableton. I would recommend putting quite a bit of reverb on it and maybe a ping pong delay with the feed back turned down a touch. If you are looping just a couple measures maybe try doing a few more so that it isn't coming up on the seem too quickly. I would make it maybe 20-30 measures long. If that doesn't work, I would just drag out the midi note for as many measures as you think you would need.
Shaneomac

over 7 years ago

Get some keyboard weights i Guess, Taylor Holt I like your Profile picture!
JakeHollebon

over 7 years ago

Reverb and a short delay as mentioned But in reason you can record the chord etc for a bar then go into edit mode, select the notes and specify a length (and make them 15 minutes long if you want!)
weshershberger

over 7 years ago

Jake...that's not a bad idea. Let me be really specific here. I bought Ian McIntosh's Reason Library...I only have had a demo version of Reason since 6 came out, but it's fun to mess with. I really just wanted to get his sounds and dissect his creation method(with the help of his new blog) Basically, I wanted to make a pad out of a few of his sounds and then be able to play them with my softstep controller. I won't be playing them in sequence of the song like Matt or KP do in their videos, but more I want to be able to launch a constant pad note of that instrument and have it just drone on through the song. Currently, I am successfully doing that but running Reason through Rewire into Ableton. I would love it if I could save clips of each note and then bring those into Ableton so I don't have to open/run both programs. It's a pain because since I have just the demo version of Reason, I can't save the file and then simply open it later...I have to go in manually every time and load the sounds and effects I want. It's not a big deal, just wondering if there's a way :)
taylorholt

over 7 years ago

Just record the pad sound you want in Reason and export it as a .wav file. You can then import it into Ableton and trigger it as you would anything else. Like I said before, you can then add effects to that track if you are wanting to loop the sound over and over.