Sound & Tech Team

What USB extension cable should I use? [SOLVED: USB AUDIO RUN SHOULD BE MAX 15', therefore use a USB CABLE SHORTER THAN 15']

Sound & Tech Team

Brad Rickard

over 1 year ago (edited)

Has anyone had success with a long (30ft or longer) USB extension cable? Sometimes I’d like to run Prime a considerable distance from my interface. My current setup: I am running Prime app on iOS thru a lighting camera adapter to a usb hub, where I connect my interface (Presonus 1818vsl) and a 3-button Midi footswitch (Logidy). I think it’s gonna take a POWERED extension cable; I had been using a 30ft unpowered cable, but the audio ends up lagging out (pausing or hesitating momentarily) mid-song, which throws the band off and is an interruption in the tracks’ audio that the audience can hear. Just wandering if anybody is using an extension cable that will work without interruptions for USB audio?

EA6A0FF8-2936-4975-A0BB-0D8FF7D4CE9F.jpeg

Derkerr

over 1 year ago

Hey Brad! With USB cables, any longer then 20 ft and there will be audio and MIDI lag. We have not had any luck with USB extension cables. We recommend keeping your interface within 20 ft of PRIME and then just sending XLR cables back to your soundboard. Hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of LC! -Derek, The LC Team
Brad Rickard

over 1 year ago

I'm just updating this thread because I think this problem has been solved in my case. I was running a 15' usb cable from my iPhone running Prime to my audio interface, which with my usb hub and camera adapter added on to that was of course more than 15'. And I was still experiencing problems. Derek mentioned in a support email that 15' max is what they recommend for the digital audio run. So I bought a 12 foot USB cable and I haven't had any more troubles. Thanks Derek!
Derkerr

over 1 year ago

Hey Brad! So glad that it worked! Happy looping! -Derek, The LC Team