Will Ableton Do..........

Ableton

gmmccurdy

over 6 years ago (edited)

I use Mainstage with my Worship team. We use it to play our loops AND it is my live synth rig. I really like how I can load up a set and easily flow between songs. I also like how when I select a new song it also sets my soft synth for that particular song so that all I have to do is play my midi controller to trigger my sounds/patches. Again, it makes it easy to flow between songs. I can hold a pad... switch songs .. and then the new pad will sound and the old one will release when I play the first note. Mean while by hitting "play" the click and loops begin in playback. For rehearsal it's nice because I use markers making it easy to jump to different positions. I consider myself a Mainstage expert but lately have been eye balling Ableton. I have the demo installed and have 15 days left. So far I can't get it to do everything I listed above that I do in mainstage. I can get it to fire loops, okay that part is easy BUT when I go to a "Scene" (hope my lingo is correct) it would be nice to have it ALSO have the correct softsynth and patch waiting. Is this possible with Ableton? I've looked for the usual YouTube tutorials and have not found one. Surely others are doing something similar to what I'm doing .. or maybe they stick with Mainstage for this sort of setup. Any help, suggestions, even links to YouTube tutorials would be appreciated. :)
sweeks614

over 6 years ago

I'm not sure that you can do this. If you find out, let me know. I've tried and it always works awkwardly. Mainstage runs much more smoothly with transitions. However, I create all of my loops and run them all from Ableton. That being said, I've only been at this for like a year, so I'm pretty much still a beginnner.
JCrouchMusic

over 6 years ago

Yes you can fire loops from ableton. (Obviously) But its much more than just loops. Ableton is an avenue for entire multi tracks. I've also used Ableton as a live instrument with my midi controller. (Synths, keys, I guess certain drums to if you want) I haven't done both in the same set but I'm sure it can be done. In my personal opinion though I would prefer that my "loop/track" computer is ONLY firing loops. Just to be sure there are no interferences with it because it is arguably the most important instrument on stage. Then just have a separate rig for computer synths and keys. Does this help at all?
gmmccurdy

over 6 years ago

I've been doing this with Cubase for 20+ years.... no problems so far! :) However, Cubase is really meant for production work and not live work so that's why I started using Mainstage. I sequence my loops with Cubase and then port over multitracks to Mainstage. Mainstage works fine but after watching some videos on Ableton it just looked a little more powerful so that's why I thought I'd give the demo a try, plus I have some extra Christmas money so why not. :)
mrdister

over 6 years ago

Yep you can definitely do this in Live. You just need to have a track dedicated for the MIDI instrument and setup an effects chain like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlV98iRNCY
nlsn

over 6 years ago

There is the learning curve to teach yourself how to program this, but I happen to think it's worth the effort. You can change keyboard presets in an instant at any time you need. I don't think you need to worry about using another computer to do this either. Ableton is capable of running loops and generating sounds and/or changing presets of an instrument simultaneously. Additionally Ableton can also turn pages of everyone's iPad (if they use OnSong), and tell the computer running lyrics video when to change slides as well. These are all done wirelessly by sending midi send messages over wifi. If you have guitarists with midi capable effects pedals, you can program Ableton to change those settings as the need arises. This means they can move around on stage and not have to worry about being near their pedals to change presets during the worship service. Of course once they discover this, they'll depend on you to help them out from then on... :-)
gmmccurdy

over 6 years ago

Thanks for the link Kyle. I'll play with that all though it looks like a pain to setup LOL. I like how with Mainstage I can load a song (set) and it will include my playback loops and all my keyboard sounds (patches). I can rearrange the song order and add a song in a second if we decide to go another route. In this video it looks like he's setup a Set List and put program changes in at certain points during the timeline. Obviously I just saw this so I might be missing something but that looks like it would kill any idea of being able to rearrange song orders on the fly. I know you can move the Scenes in Ableton but it seems like the time line would take editing as well. Again, maybe I'm missing something so I'll study the video more and dive back into the demo and see how it works. :) I appreciate the feedback guys!
scoottie

over 6 years ago

Yes mainstage is very easy when making a playlist however its so limited. Like the video you can use dummy clips and the chains inside an instrument rack. So your plugin can change during a song or on scene launch. But you can also crossfade, blend change and keyboard split with any imaginable combination. You can also use a dummy clip to send MIDI Program Change messages. I personally use Ableton as a keyboard player and here are some things I've done. When I launch a scene certain plugins and patches load for each of my 3 MIDI controllers. MIDI PC message goes to my Juno60 or Nord to change a patch. MIDI clock goes to my delay for BPM sync. It then sends MIDI to the drummer's laptop and changes his samples per song which he is triggering via and SPD-s. Then there's the real time processing. We can add verb to a real snare. I can process keyboards with plugins and add a vocoder to a live vocal. I can also use a script called ClyphX which will allow me to do anything by launching a clip. Want to change tempo from 75-135 over 8 bars... done. Want to select a specific effect and map it's parameters to my 8 encoders... boom. Want to create a new track, start recording a clip, after 8 bars it plays back, then after 32 it switches to the next clip... launch one clip and it's done. Want to launch multiple MIDI, Audio or dummy clips at once... easy.