Windows 10 and Ableton issues?

Ableton

KyleFulks

almost 6 years ago (edited)

Has anyone started using Ableton with Windows 10? I just upgraded to Windows 10 because I was very keen to move up from windows 8.1. Ableton actually seems to run a bit smoother and faster then on 8.1... until it just froze on me mid set yesterday. Luckily I was only running a click track so it wasn't a huge issue. Has anyone else experienced any similar issues?
jaeisenhauer

almost 6 years ago

I've been using it at home for about a week and had an issue where Ableton wouldn't start just the other day. After about 6 tries it eventually opened and showed all the crash reports. That is the only issue I've seen so far. I also ran it Sunday during the service on a different computer running Windows 10 and had no issues. So far it seems to run smoother, although I did a clean install after the upgrade and that has helped with overall performance of my computer. I was a little reluctant to switch from Windows 7 but I'm pretty happy with 10 so far.
nlsn

over 5 years ago

The only issue I encountered was after I upgraded to W10, I began to have driver problems associated with ASIO and/or my Focusrite interface. What solved it was to uninstall those problematic drivers, and install updated ones. Works great now.
KyleFulks

over 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys! Nelson, what interface do you have and have you done any recording with it? I have the scarlett 6i6 and when I try recording audio in Ableton 9.6 it will work for a few measures and then crackle, pop, and then Ableton freezes. Very frustrating to say the least... I believe I have the most up to date drivers for everything, but could be wrong. I am also running a new Lenovo Yoga 900 with more than enough horsepower. Any thoughts?
nlsn

over 5 years ago

I have a Focusrite 2i4. It has served me well so far. There may come a time when the need for more demands a bigger interface. My church will have to pony up for it. This one is out of my own personal pocket I have used it to record our worship sets to listen back and evaluate. I record bass, guitar, and use midi to record keys. So, even though there are only 2 inputs, I have three channels recording. Sometimes I will just set up one mic and record everything like an ambient room mic. As for your diagnosis, in preferences what's your buffer size? Try changing it larger or smaller to see how that affects things... if any.
nlsn

about 5 years ago

Kyle, Maybe this will help... https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/reduce-cpu-load/