Sound & Tech Team

Windows and Mac Audio/video/lighting setup

Sound & Tech Team

jaeisenhauer

about 4 years ago (edited)

Hey everyone, I haven't been able to find much information on this so I thought I'd see if anyone here has a similar setup. I am currently running Ableton Live from a Windows laptop which has been working pretty well. We also use ProPresenter on an iMac, run by a volunteer, and ShowXpress on another Windows PC, also run by a volunteer. I'm looking for a way to control everything from the laptop but haven't had much luck getting things to communicate. The other issue is that the laptop is on stage being controlled by myself or another band member to start/stop tracks and the other computers are connected to video/lighting equipment in the booth. I've tried using rtpMidi but haven't had any luck getting it to talk to either the video or lighting software. I know OSX has the wifi midi drivers built in but I don't currently have the funds to purchase a Macbook. In all the videos and tutorials I've found they're using Mac's, which would be ideal, but I don't have unlimited resources. Just curious if anyone has done anything similar with any success and if there are workarounds I may be missing.
jaeisenhauer

about 4 years ago

In case anyone is interested I did have some luck last night in getting 2 PCs to pass midi over the network. Apparently after installing the midi driver they just needed restarted a couple times to get things working right. I was having issues with the lighting program not recognizing any midi inputs but once I connected to the "midi network" and then restarted the computer without disconnecting everything worked out great. Now I just need to make sure I can communicate with the iMac and we'll be in business.
Sventvkg

almost 3 years ago

Qlab on Mac. Can control everything.
Braam

over 1 year ago

Hi all. At our church we are using windows as operating systems. I want to control PP with Ableton. No videos show how to do it on a pc. Have the bome's midi translator installed and no sending any midi to PP. Can someone please help me with a link or workflow how to get the to programs to talk to each other. Remember is for WINDOWS
jaeisenhauer

over 1 year ago

Hey Braam, You'll want to install RTPMidi on your Windows Machines. That will allow you to communicate with the Apple Midi protocol on a Mac or send Midi wirelessly between Windows computers. If you're running ProPresenter on a Windows computer, it will need to have Bome's installed and you'll have to setup a Midi to Keystroke translator and then set a key to advance slides in ProPresenter, or however you'd like to change slides. Renewed Vision (ProPresenter) does not make the Midi Module available for Windows so it's an extra work around. It can be done, it's just not as straightforward as if you were running ProPresenter on a Mac. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to look for some videos or even make one to help you out.
Braam

over 1 year ago

Hey Jacob. Thanks for the reply. Will it be possible for you to show me how to do this midi thing. I'm not clueless but need some help. Both programs are run on one windows machine. My e-mail: braam31@telkomsa.net Thx